Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2019, 04:54 PM

Default Butt Plate ID

Think I figured out how to post Pics. Credits go to Joe Poyer and Craig Riesch for their fine book that I would highly recommend everyone purchase:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fP9a1PCBzRvUjtYj8

Excuse my highlights as they relate specifically to SA BP's. The BP's are one of the easier parts to identify as they do not have multiple variations like so many others do. There are definitely differences in manufacturers and it's all about counting the (squares/diamonds/checking) dots! Last two Pics are of a re-parkerized SA and a worn original SA for reference. If anyone has a NOS Type 2 SA for sale let me know.

One thing not mentioned is the type of finish. I think I read elsewhere where the SA's were some sort of Magnesium Phosphate finish versus blued and that if Parkerized they have been refinished. Maybe someone can elaborate on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes529 View Post
Definitely hope someone can upload that!
Old 04-13-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayCreekRng View Post
Think I figured out how to post Pics. Credits go to Joe Poyer and Craig Riesch for their fine book that I would highly recommend everyone purchase:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fP9a1PCBzRvUjtYj8

Excuse my highlights as they relate specifically to SA BP's. The BP's are one of the easier parts to identify as they do not have multiple variations like so many others do. There are definitely differences in manufacturers and it's all about counting the (squares/diamonds/checking) dots! Last two Pics are of a re-parkerized SA and a worn original SA for reference. If anyone has a NOS Type 2 SA for sale let me know.

One thing not mentioned is the type of finish. I think I read elsewhere where the SA's were some sort of Magnesium Phosphate finish versus blued and that if Parkerized they have been refinished. Maybe someone can elaborate on this?
I have that book. There is no mention of post war SA butt plates having both round and square plungers. Looking at the photos in the book leads one to believe that round plunger equals H&R butt plates but that is not the case.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:28 PM

Yes, the picture you showed is a 1944-45 SA buttplate. See the artiicle by Anthony Pucci in the Garand Collector Journal 2-3 years ago.

Tags
buttplate, springfield, winchester, wwii