Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2019, 03:36 PM

Default Rock Island 1903

Went to my local gun store today and they had a Rock Island 1903 with 34X,XXX serial and 11-18 RIA barrel. Stock had several cartouches (probably 4-5 total, including the proof P) (I know, I should have taken photos...). Was told that a tag on it was original from when the rifle when it was sold to GI (after WW2?). Was curious what price range to expect for such a rifle. Also interested in learning some more about the history of how these were sold after WW2. Were there such tags indicating specifics for what ammo to use (kind of a cautionary statement?), etc?
Old 06-02-2019, 04:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Crazy high price.

If it is safe to shoot at all, any .30-06 ammunition is OK.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 06-02-2019, 04:21 PM

Value depends on some more information - stock type, stock markings, etc. Also if it has been refinished - bolt markings, etc. Too many unknowns as yet. Barrel is most likely original.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:00 PM

You may want to search the Bolt Action Rifles forum for 1903 prices and research for yourself as 1903A3's can start around $700 with original 1903 generally not being much different. Prices above 2K are far and few between unless it is something really special.

I just paid more than I should have for a Mint 1903A3 44 Remington documented as a DCM/NRA transfer from 1962 and sold by the original owner. It was still in the cosmoline bag and all original except for the arsenal stamp which has been documented to have occurred as they sent them to storage regardless of originality.

As I stated in the other sub-forum you originally posted in, it sounds like a possible good gun store find with an original barrel? Maybe a DCM tagged sale, but no way to tell without Pictures and specifics. You need to do the research given the list price you mentioned. This is all subject to if it is an early serial number or not. There is a lot of info from CMP and others to search regarding not shooting early serial numbers as stated here: http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1903-m1903a3/

Would be very helpful to have Pics of all Cartouches and stamps on the stock along with all markings on parts. Whether it is an original un-rebuilt weapon is determined in part by if it has an Arsenal stamp or not. Along with wear, parkerized colors and part markings to start with.

I would be surprised that they will not allow Pics and a field strip if they really want to sell it. If not find someone who knows of the 1903's and take them with you.

Caveat Emptor always and hope some of the onboard collectors will chime in for you. Look forward to hearing and hopefully seeing more as I too would like to add an original 1903 to my safe one day.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:14 PM

The RIA mentioned above is well over the "cutoff" beween low- and high-numbered receivers of 287,507.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:45 PM

Woops, missed that minor detail somehow, sorry Rick. My bad, but good info none the less if someone is not aware I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
The RIA mentioned above is well over the "cutoff" beween low- and high-numbered receivers of 287,507.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:34 PM

Was able to snap a few photos of the subject rifle today: http://imgur.com/gallery/zvhvifb
Old 07-11-2019, 07:25 PM

Have an 03a3 sold as unserviceable in 1958 on box . No tag like you. Have been told that meant not rebuilt. Head space is fine. Nice Rock Island, not sure value, but I would buy if reasonable priced. Like if I had the money.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:01 PM

Nice, what are they asking??
Old 07-12-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief jeff View Post
Have an 03a3 sold as unserviceable in 1958 on box . No tag like you. Have been told that meant not rebuilt. Head space is fine. Nice Rock Island, not sure value, but I would buy if reasonable priced. Like if I had the money.
"Unserviceable" rifles, as sold by DCM in that period, simply meant the rifle had not been examined or tested. In most cases I read, the rifle was in good shape and mechanical condition.