Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2019, 05:27 PM

Default M1D retaining zero question

I have a CMP M1D that I have a CMP scope mount and repro M82 on.

Iíve not been removing it for transport since I was concerned about it retaining zero with the no USGI mount. However I just had another rifle have itís scope mount broken in transport so Iím thinking about removing the scope and mount now when transporting.

What experience have others had with a recent CMP mount and zero repeatability?

I do have a USGI Mount that I could swap in, it has an M84 in it and I was saving that combo for display and not subjecting the original scope to the recoil etc.

What experience have others had with USGI M1D mounts and zero repeatability?

I hunt with this rifle and zero repeatability matters from an ethical hunting perspective.

Thanks in advance.

Whit

My feedback thread
Old 06-01-2019, 06:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

There is no such thing as "repeatability" when removing and replacing scopes and mounts. You will almost certainly have to re-zero. Sometimes, however, you may get lucky and be close enough. But you won't know unless you shoot it. If you just re-mount the scope and go hunting, don't be surprised if you miss.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 06-02-2019, 07:46 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolarco View Post
There is no such thing as "repeatability" when removing and replacing scopes and mounts. You will almost certainly have to re-zero. Sometimes, however, you may get lucky and be close enough. But you won't know unless you shoot it. If you just re-mount the scope and go hunting, don't be surprised if you miss.
This! Even with a USGI mount retaining zero would be near impossible. With a reproduction mount completely impossible. I've had to take my USGI mount and scope off of mine twice and even sith very care reinstallation some minor zero corrections had to be made. BTW, you can't just haphazardly install the mount. There is a specific way it needs to be done or it will shift under fire. With a repro, if it's maintaing zero now, for heaven's sake leave it alone. You may never get it back on correctly.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:58 PM

I appreciate the responses, many thanks.

Is there any documentation on installing the mount so that it doesn’t shift under fire?

Last time I was out I had a bit of vertical stringing. Perfect windage but vertically strung.

My feedback thread

Tags
m1d, retaining zero, zero repeatability