Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2019, 12:19 AM

Default Krag

I have a sporterized krag that im debating parting out. Is there any value or market demand? The magazine was removed with a steel plate welded in its place. The forearm was shortened so its stock is junk as well as the missing stock metal pieces on the muzzle end. Its practically garbage to me, short of throwing it out is there any poiny in parting it out?
Old 06-01-2019, 05:39 AM

I'd part it out. Can't hurt and someone out there may need and pay for what is virtually useless to you.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
I have a sporterized krag that im debating parting out. Is there any value or market demand? The magazine was removed with a steel plate welded in its place. The forearm was shortened so its stock is junk as well as the missing stock metal pieces on the muzzle end. Its practically garbage to me, short of throwing it out is there any poiny in parting it out?
I'm looking for Krag parts, sent you a pm.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:37 AM

Any shootable Krag will have value, even if it is sporterized. More so if it the receiver is an Antique made pre-1899, since it is not subject to Federal regulation under GCA-1968. This means that you can legally sell or transfer it across state lines without going through an FFL dealer. According to most sources the Antique serial number cutoff for the US Krag Jorgensen is 152670, which includes all Model 1892/5/6 and the first year of Model 1898 production.

Last edited by Peconga; 06-01-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:17 PM

There are receivers floating around. Try to find one at decent money.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:46 PM

I was under the impression that finding a reciever and a stock would put me close enough to the value i could buy a new intact one, no?

I recall looking the serial number up and thinking it wasnt an antique but ill check again.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:02 PM

I have Krag receivers but the stocks can run as high as $500 with out and metal.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:49 PM

If the stock has been shortened above the lower barrel band you can repair it easily with a replacement fore end. These are available on gunbroker and the Krag Collectors forum. The only other issue will be replacement of the hand guard if it’s missing. Until recently these were reproduced so you might still find one. Original ones can run well above $100 although I bought one on eBay for about $75 awhile back.

Overall, everything is available parts wise to restore it assuming it hasn’t been drilled or had the barrel cut down.

Stretch
Old 06-03-2019, 09:41 PM

Barrel is full length still, should i be concerned about the welded door where the magazine should be? Wouldnt the heat ruin the integrity of the reciever?
Old 06-04-2019, 05:30 AM

I missed the part about the loading gate being welded over.

Depending on what you paid for the rifle, you still might be able to put one together in military configuration for less than you can buy one.

Receivers are frequently available here and various other websites. I’ve seen them for less than $100 in good condition. I’ll differ to those smarter on current prices.

I restored a Krag sporter a few years ago and have really enjoyed it. If you like projects it might be worth it to restore. If you’re not motivated to tackle it I’m sure someone here might be or can use the parts.

Stretch