Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2019, 07:31 AM

Default How not to get BIT by a drill

Hello to the all knowing!! In my hunts and looking I have ran up on some reclaimed drill rifles that were done to the point that had the guy not told me you could not tell with out disassembly to see where the barrel was welded so the big question ???? how is the best way to check one as not to get it home with a new doll baby and find that you have been BIT by a drill, Just for example I found a guy that had a rack full of 03s a3s and a4s that were all super nice with all the right stamps BUT after talking he told me that was what they were so HOW DO YOU KNOW ??? THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 06-05-2019, 08:05 AM

They were welded at the cutoff also. So that area would have been redone and there is always a tell tell sign of grinding or filing. The CMP sold a large lot of drill rifles in their scrap auction back in 2011 I think. I have access to the list of drill rifles the CMP sold in the scrap auction.

Post the serial number and I can find out. If it is not on the list, this still does not confirm the rifle is a recovered rifle. There are these rifles the CMP has sold through the stores.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:06 AM

A careful examination of the cutoff area with magnification and good light. It is almost impossible to reconfigure the receiver and match the finish over dissimilar metal used to replace original. Very few of the drill receivers get a full restoration, so it is usually pretty easy to detect the remnants of the weld. A more complete exam would include the barrel/receiver juncture using the same protocol. Most knowledgeable sources accept the restored rifles as being safe and regard the weld damage as cosmetic. Good Shooting. ...
Old 06-05-2019, 09:05 AM

Yes I have seen the cut off reworks some were Bubba jobs some looked like it could have just been a divet that said did all drills have the cut off welded or staked and is that one of the drill mod requirements, and how much should that drop the price on say a 03 or a a4 ? THANKS for replies
Old 06-05-2019, 09:08 AM

Not all drill rifles had the cut-off welded. The 1903A3 drill rifles the ROTC drill team at my college used did not. All had the barrel tacked to the receiver with two tiny tacks, some so poorly done that the drop of weld didn't penetrate receiver, and those that did were only
1/8 in across and some even less. Some had the chamber plugged and a small cap welded at the muzzle, others only had a cap on the muzzles (think of a small steel piece the size of a dime tacked into place). Bolts had the firing pin tip ground off and the firing pin hole welded, did find one with solder instead of weld over the hole. None had sights or mag springs and followers. On those with only caps on the muzzle a simple crown, and
addition of missing parts was all that was needed. This was the late 60's and most gunsmiths had all sorts of leftover parts from sporterizing A3's. Average cost of restoration was about $5. Oh, almost forgot, the barrels were full of cosmoline and when cleaned looked like new or close to it.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:09 AM

The CMP offered drill rifles and barreled receivers from drill rifles for many years before 2011 - both through their stores and by mail.

The main tell tale modification, as already mentioned, is the area of the cutoff. By welding the cutoff in a permanent down, or "OFF" position, the bolt could not be removed, and it would not extend past the magazine follower when opened (otherwise it would stick in the open position). In "re-converting" a drill rifle to function, this is usually the most difficult area, since it does show and all the welding material has to be carefully removed and contoured to what the original receiver was. Of course, the cutoff itself would have to be replaced usually.

Another modification; a tack weld at the bottom of the receiver where it connects to the barrel, and a steel rod inserted in the chamber and welded by melting a hole through the bottom of the barrel with the welding torch. This essentially ruined the barrel and a new one would have to be installed. Again, the tack welding material on the bottom of the receiver would have to be carefully removed and contoured - an area which might show if the action is removed from the stock.

The bolt face would also have welding material on it, covering the firing pin hole, and the striker would be ground off. The bolt itself needs to be replaced, although all the interior parts could be used by replacing the striker. If you suspect or know that the rifle had been a drill rifle, carefully inspect the bolt face to see if welding there has been ground off or re-drilled. A bolt which has been welded may have been heat damaged at its most critical place.

Because of the nature of drill rifles and the way they were handled and treated, wear and damage to other parts will usually require replacements. Stocks, handguards, sights, bands, and safeties take a beating, and butt plates are often chewed up. Other parts might be replaced for looks. Some of these replacement parts might be aftermarket replicas, so you have to know what original parts and markings look like.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:04 PM

Thanks for all the info it's not that I don't want a drill but it would be heart breaking to pull the wood and find a weld . Thanks again!!