Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2019, 06:17 PM

When I was about 8, my grandfather took me to the theater to see a western. When we got home, I said, "Granddaddy, do cowboys ever go to the bathroom?"

So, I too have a longstanding concern about Hollywood keeping it factual.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
For me, the start of the movie and the end were very moving. The "middle" was another story and (for me, of course) left something to be desired. I didn't care for it. The low point was a group of supposed Rangers behind enemy territory screaming at each other.

I thought, judging from "end to end" Band of Brothers was better. JMHO, of course.
I agree.

xllx@msn.com
Old 06-04-2019, 07:23 PM

I am familiar with the premise of what they were basing it on. I do not dispute that. What I dispute is would they have done what they did the way the Soldiers were sent out to accomplish it. I do not think they did that with the Brothers at all and do not think they would had.

Georges case, yes maybe for his Family. But I have never encountered anything that this was actually done with anyone elses Family in this way.

Yes. Cowboys do go to the Bathroom. I used to be one,LOL

I never said it was a bad Movie at all. I just disagree with some of the History part in it.

This is why I asked. Does anyone know if what was depicted ever actually done in the this way to save the Brothers?.. Inform me if you know.

"Best Years of our Lives". I liked that one. It was a post WWII setting but a good Movie.

Last edited by carbineone; 06-04-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:03 AM

I discussed this topic with a Facebook friend and he said he watches documentaries to learn about history and Hollywood for entertainment. I agree with him as far as it goes, but I guess you still have to consider if a movie is in the realm of believability or not. To use an extreme example, the movie "Pearl Harbor" might have been called "entertaining" but the facts were stretched to the point it was almost fantasy.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

The story was fictional but no damage done. It did justice to history of what men went through .

As far as war stories are concerned, this movie was not the abortion that "Platoon" was.

War is hardly entertaining so I can see why Hollywood stretches reality when they make a war movie.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:27 AM

Y'all need to be nicer to Saving Private Ryan. This movie did more for promoting WWII remembrance and interest in the M1 Garand than anything in the previous 2 decades to 1998. Probably helped increase the value of your rifles as interest grew. I'll forgive the minor inaccuracies for the impact it had on a generation of people.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:39 PM

That I will agree ....
Old 06-06-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstflabn View Post
1. Without SPR, there's no Band of Brothers.

2. After SPR, Winters and his comrades trusted Spielberg with their story, so they must have seen something to cooperate so enthusiastically.
This article brought me back to your comment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/o...niversary.html

"Saving Private Ryan’ Got My Dad to Finally Talk About the War"

War films may have been only “based on a true story.” But they did justice to the essential truth of what happened on the ground.

"They tell their stories with an awareness that a well-studied audience will readily call out anything that doesn’t ring true."

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 06-06-2019 at 12:19 PM.