Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2019, 05:26 PM

Major General Smith was the Marine General in charge of the 1st Mar Div and dis not share his superiors view of the situation so he insisted on fortifying his main supply route at strategic points including building an airfield as quoted above. He was ordered to stop building the airfield and to push forward more rapidly by his immediate superior. He agreed with his superior and then continued to build the airfield and fortify his MSR and move cautiously. Good thing he did.

On Monday my father and I took Marine Col Charles Menzies, a WW2 and Korean War Vet shooting with several CMP rifles. He’s up there in years so the Garand was just too heavy and the sight relief too long for the former L4 and F4U driver but the IBM M1 carbine was perfect and he really enjoyed the sound and smell. He was attached to the 1st Marine Div during this campaign but doesn’t talk about that part very much though he will tell you about the flying he did in WW2 freely. He wanted more time in the F4U but wound up doing a lot of liaison flying instead on getting into F4us very late in the war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchkshot View Post
U S Air Force moved plane loads of wounded (and not so wounded) out of Hagaru-ri as long as airfield was in allied hands (US, Brits, ROKs and Turks, among others). At least somebody in authority knew a massacre was in the making and made something happen.

My feedback thread
Old 06-06-2019, 05:43 PM

One of the many Chosin Reservir vids on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeTBWJFf22M

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 06-07-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Poster View Post
One of the many Chosin Reservir vids on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeTBWJFf22M
Thank you for this link. The evacuation of the people is not very well known.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:44 PM

I had a great friend whom I met 50yrs ago as aPolice reserve who served with me (full tine Officer) for 25 nore years. BILL RITCHIE served in the Marine Corps. at the 2nd wave onto Okinawa at 17 yrs of age and reenlisted as a marine Reserve and was called up for the Korean Conflict (WAR).
Bill served at the Chosin Resevour but didn't talk about it much except to say," I was a lucky one who manage to survive".
Bill never lost his love of the Corps. He served in many vapacities as a retired Marine along with many years with the USO greating service personal at O'Hare International Airport.
Sadley Bill passed away in August of 2018 at 93. He will be missed.

Last edited by Star0194; 06-19-2019 at 05:46 PM.