Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2019, 10:19 PM

Default A story never told - D-Day

Great Uncle Marvin was a small gentle man that live with my grandma (his sister) until his death. I was always told he was in WW2 loading bombs on planes during his service in the European front. It wasn't until he passed away did we receive this plaque from the state of Missouri for his service during the D-Day invasion. He passed away in my late 20's and never talked about his time in the service. Thank you for your service Uncle Marvin.

https://imgur.com/a/ZisFlws
Old 06-07-2019, 05:45 AM

Have you found out more, or is that all you have? Have you requested his paperwork from the national archives?

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 06-07-2019, 06:47 AM

Yeah- the story is missing. Obviously whoever sent the plaque must know something.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:54 AM

My mom is big into genealogy and said she looked into it but didn’t fine much. Someone knows something about his service records. Same for my Great Grandpa. I will see if I can find some info through the national archives.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:50 AM

Just another of those quiet men and women who did their job and came home and moved on. We as a nation are lucky indeed because of people like your uncle.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:37 AM

I never knew my uncle Mike was a paratrooper who participated in the invasion until some years after his death. I guess after the war he just returned to work in the PA anthracite fields and continued mining.
I have seen a few photos that were passed down after his death. On the reverse of one it just says Belgium 1944. The others are snow covered roads and men in columns moving around a bend in the road.
I couldn't believe how similar my oldest boy's appearance was to the image captured in the old photo. Unfortunately he was never able to meet him.
Mike and is other brothers were all hardasses who were born in a coal patch. My mother told me they didn't even have birth dates and the military had to assign them dates, fall or summer wasn't accurate enough. She wound up having to take care of them once they reached older age.
God bless those guys.