Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 04:51 PM

Default A bit OT but here goes - "P14, yea or nay?"

Folks - I decided to ask here since I assume it would get the most relevant action vs. the "Ask Each Other" forum...if so, apologies in advance to the members and mods.

Without the influence of pics or additional details, would you pick up a P14 (as in the .303 predecessor to the M1917 that we used in WW1) and if so for what price range?

Would you pay more or less vs. a similarly conditioned M1917?

I could say more, but again don't want to influence the discussion so that you give your gut impressions/opinions. Also please share any pros/cons that would influence your decision. Thanks to all in advance.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:57 PM

Heck Yah I'd get it! Problem I've found is most of what I've come across are ratted out and have worn out barrels. If I could find a nice one with a good barrel I'd buy it in a NY minute. Don't know about prices on good ones the 'worn' ones I've seen go for less than comparable 1917's.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:46 PM

I bought an Eddystone P14 off GB and it is beautiful.

I like the idea of collecting variants, though, as well as American made foreign weapons (Savage Enfield, P14, etc.). In my M1903 series I still need an M1903 Mark 1 (correct) and a documented M1903 Mark 1. I did luck into a M1903A2, which was estimated to be "real" by respected members of this Forum. I need a bushing for that one, but may never find it.

Still looking for a US made Mosin (Remington, Winchester). Local gunshop had some, but condition didn't match price. I'd rather pay more for one in good condition, rather than buy one just because it's available.

"Life is Good!"
Old 07-24-2011, 07:29 PM

If buying a P14 over a 1917 for shooting, the main disadvantage to the P14 is the higher cost of .303 versus .30-06.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:29 PM

I would love to have a P14 to go with my British Enfields. I would pay about the same as a similar condition 1917.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:43 PM

!917's are common. P14's are not. but they are not as familiar or in as much demand by the typical gun buyer. I like my P14s and they shoot fine. Ammo cost no factor since I handload. Look out for bad bores with both rifles. Both were around for corrosive priming and the British used cordite propellent which is very distructive to barrels. You cannot (simply)replace the P14 barrel with the 1917 30-06 Criterion. Good Shooting......

Tags
303, enfield, p14