Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-17-2012, 04:29 AM
HughUno HughUno is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 3,065
Default

with high quality match grade reloads/ammunition (or quality hunting bullets), my 03 (minty HS 44 barrel), off a front rest, rear bag, will shoot under 2MOA all day long (easily).

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-17-2012, 05:47 AM
.22shooter .22shooter is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 2,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughUno View Post
with high quality match grade reloads/ammunition (or quality hunting bullets), my 03 (minty HS 44 barrel), off a front rest, rear bag, will shoot under 2MOA all day long (easily).

bedded action?

Last edited by .22shooter; 08-17-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-17-2012, 01:28 PM
lapriester lapriester is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cobb, N California
Posts: 16,362
Exclamation

IMHO the biggest difference between most other milsurp rifles and the 1903 (esspecially the 1903A3) is the sights. For many shooters they can shoot an A3 much more accurately than say a Swede or K31 because of the sights and their ease of use and better sight picture. I, personally, have nothing but problems with anything but peep type sights. Even though a Swede or K31 may be more accurate, I still shoot better with my A3 and my M1903 with it's USMC sights front and rear due to the sights alone.

Larry
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Perplexed Perplexed is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
IMHO the biggest difference between most other milsurp rifles and the 1903 (esspecially the 1903A3) is the sights. For many shooters they can shoot an A3 much more accurately than say a Swede or K31 because of the sights and their ease of use and better sight picture. I, personally, have nothing but problems with anything but peep type sights. Even though a Swede or K31 may be more accurate, I still shoot better with my A3 and my M1903 with it's USMC sights front and rear due to the sights alone.

Larry
I hear you; this reason is why I now only have FSR M96's with a rear diopter - and my K31's have either a St. Marie scope mount with a Weaver K4, or a Swiss Products diopter.
__________________
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

Please leave feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=33711
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-17-2012, 02:40 PM
HughUno HughUno is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 3,065
Default

not bedded.

LN rifle.

(can't see the rifle much in picture, but this was a recent group at 100 yards with wicked humidity/fogging of lenses--I would say 1.5MOA all day long, but the sights can be a limiting factor as was --esp. when you have the sweat and fogged lens factor too!).

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-17-2012, 03:00 PM
lapriester lapriester is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cobb, N California
Posts: 16,362
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughUno View Post
not bedded.

LN rifle.

(can't see the rifle much in picture, but this was a recent group at 100 yards with wicked humidity/fogging of lenses--I would say 1.5MOA all day long, but the sights can be a limiting factor as was --esp. when you have the sweat and fogged lens factor too!).


Nice shooting Hugh.

Larry
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Calfed Calfed is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
I hear you; this reason is why I now only have FSR M96's with a rear diopter - and my K31's have either a St. Marie scope mount with a Weaver K4, or a Swiss Products diopter.
My sons and I shoot in a vintage military silhouette match. Diopter sighted weapons are allowed in the "open class", but compete against scoped military rifles. As a consequence, I'm still shooting the standard sights. I've had good luck with the older long Swiss rifles, because the sights are further from my eye, making it easier to focus on the front sight.

Here is a "shoot off" that I had with one of my 1911 long rifles...my handloads vs Prvi Partizan 7.5 x 55 commercial ammo @ 100 yards.

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-17-2012, 04:53 PM
DJEinConcord DJEinConcord is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 1,075
Default

Here are 25 shots in about three inches from an OCW work up from 46 grains up to 50 in one grain increments. Each 8 1/2 by 11 target was shot one at one at a time as I worked up from 46 grains. All five groups went into the same POI. The hottest (50 grain) load shot a legitimate 7/8 of an inch. It is not unusal for '03A3s to like throwing them fast and tight. I think the 49 grain load is the only one bigger than 2 inches due to the flyer. The powder is Varget with 168 Nosler CC blems.

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 PM
John Rippert John Rippert is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stafford, Texas
Posts: 135
Default

My 1903A3 shoots just as good as my best K31. I think the K31 "points" a bit better than the '03A3 but that is subjective.
__________________
Believe the impossible, count the distant stars, but donít forget to set the kettle over the fire if you want to drink tea.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-18-2012, 12:49 PM
.22shooter .22shooter is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 2,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rippert View Post
My 1903A3 shoots just as good as my best K31. I think the K31 "points" a bit better than the '03A3 but that is subjective.
Interesting that you say that. It must be, as others have already pointed out, the better sights.

Bill
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.