Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2009, 11:39 AM

Default M1917 condition

Hey all,
I purchased an M1917 service grade from CMP over a year ago that I have only just gotten around to working on. By serial number, the receiver was made in December of 1917. Barrel is a Johnson Automatics and was filthy, took me at least two hours of scrubbing to get it clean but still dark. My question though, is about the bolt. I took the bolt apart, and the striker is bent, and the rear of the bolt looks like it has a chunk taken out of it. I would call this unsafe to fire. I checked out a new bolt at Sarco, for $40 it sounds like a good deal, but I will have to mess around with headspace, etc.

So, my real question is, should I complain to CMP? I would think for service grade that they would have provided me a complete working rifle with unbroken parts and safe to fire? All my other rifles from CMP have been in wonderful condition, and my Garand service rifle is in like-new condition (having been rebuilt in '64). So, what do you guys think I should do?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:49 AM

Contact the CMP, it is a little late after the purchase but they have great customer service and you have nothing to lose by notifyng them of the issues.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:01 PM

Yes, as a service grade rifle it should have been in operable condition. But, after more than a year to notice it, I don't know, if it were me I would just replace the bolt myself. I think had you contacted customer service right away there would have been no problem getting it replaced. Heck, the CMP customer service may even still work with you. Just ask, all they may say is it has been too long or they may work you. But like I said, after a year, I would take care of it myself.

Josey
Old 10-31-2009, 01:42 PM

CMP has the best customer service. If they can help you (i.e., if they still have the parts), I'll bet they will. Contact them; you have nothing to lose.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:42 AM

I would contact the CMP Costumer service and explain to them that you finally had a chance to take the rifle apart after a year. They're nice people and will probably work with you.You'll probably will have to send the rifle back , so they can put another bolt in it and headspace it for you.You have nothing to loose except a little time calling them.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:34 AM

Just to be sure, it would help if you still had your CMP paperwork, or at least the certificate they send you.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:44 PM

Not trying to rain on anybodies parade but page 1A of the universal order form which the purchaser must sign to order clearly states the rifle you are purchasing,with no reference as to grade,is sold"AS IS,WITH NO WARRANTY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED".
Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 PM

True, but with all due respect, CMP will help regardless as to the statement in 1A.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:36 PM

True,but with all due respect,the purchaser of a used firearm should check it out upon receipt.I know of no one other than the CMP that would even warranty a used firearm let alone a year after purchase.

Tags
bolt, enfield, m1917, striker