Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 02:42 PM

Default 1st 03a3

Where to start? How about with pictures:
http://s1007.photobucket.com/user/bs...?sort=3&page=1

As most of you can probably tell this is a Greek return. It has the signature black parkerizing and stock inlet for a sling swivel. I believe this rifle was rebuilt, probably after the war, at which time the stock was replaced. As far as I can tell it has all Remington parts. The bolt handle is electro penciled and doesn't match which means it was also replaced?

It is a CMP rifle that was sold here on the forums and the second owner sold it to me locally. It was worth every penny. Never had an ounce of buyers regret haha. I got exactly what I wanted (C-stock, tight barrel, winter trigger guard) at the right price. The really awesome part is that I shoot this rifle better than any other milsurp that own. I regularly and consistently achieve 10 shot 2MOA groups at 100 yards! The sights are hard to beat and the stock is surprisingly comfortable to shoot. The trigger is long but breaks cleanly. Great shooter!

Wish I would've bought one a long time ago...hope you enjoyed the pics!

Bill

Last edited by .22shooter; 08-24-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:46 AM

nice shooter,,,interesting cut on the stock...
Old 08-25-2013, 08:49 AM

A number of Greek M1903s/03A3s were sold with the inletted place for a side-mounted lower sling swivel. There were theories that such rifles were modified for use with horse or mountain units, although I never heard anything definite.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:09 AM

Same here Rick, everything I have read about the Greek cav rifles has been online. Horse mounted or mountain type troops typically had mounts like this and I'm assuming that not all Greek rifles have this inlet.

Kind of bored so I started doing research on individual rifle parts. It appears that I have a 1903 butt plate (milled no checkering) although I can't definitely tell which time frame it was made.

Also looks like the cocking piece/knob (unmarked) is a pre WWI? Looks like the one of the left:http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps027e8368.jpg

The rear sling swivel is also milled and I can't find any markings. Any way to tell more?

The lower band of all things from my google homework appears to be from a P17 Enfield. Looks like this:
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...bUP7LPj1PA.jpg It has seen better days so I'll be picking up a NOS Remington (are these typically blued or parked?)

Certainly an interesting arrangement..anyone know more about this stuff?

Bill

Last edited by .22shooter; 11-27-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:36 AM

The buttplate could be one of the following:

1) a pre-1910

2) one made during the WWI-period (1917-1920)

3) a Remington made during the 1941-42 period - this variety would be marked with an "R" on the inside.

I'd be careful to match the lower band with the rest of the parts. a NOS lower band is quite a bit more expensive than a used one.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
The buttplate could be one of the following:

1) a pre-1910

2) one made during the WWI-period (1917-1920)

3) a Remington made during the 1941-42 period - this variety would be marked with an "R" on the inside.

I'd be careful to match the lower band with the rest of the parts. a NOS lower band is quite a bit more expensive than a used one.
As far as I can tell the butt plate is unmarked so that leaves pre 1910 and WWI.
http://www.vishooter.net/m1903/buttplates.jpg
I can't tell the difference.....actually it looks like the "stick" of the "lollypop" on the pre 1910 is longer than the WWI. Or is that just the pic?

Matching a Remington swivel is easy but how do you ID the lower band?

Bill

Last edited by .22shooter; 11-27-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Banned

What is the mark on the stock relief for the magazine cutoff?
Old 11-27-2013, 03:32 PM

nice looking 03A3...i had 3,have one now...traded 2 for an original 1955 SA.short on cash sooo it was a case of keeping the pick of the litter of my 03's to get an outstanding M1. i have found that the 03's shoot the wolf ammo with no problem when my greek m2 runs short.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch the Clown View Post
What is the mark on the stock relief for the magazine cutoff?
If I understand what you're referencing it is the letter "K" and I believe it stands for Keystone who is the manufacturer of c-stocks.

Bill
Old 11-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Banned

Thanks.