Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 02:23 PM

Default Question about interchanging Mauser Stocks

I bought a sporterized K98 Mauser from Gander Mountain for $250. Someone had removed the front and rear sights, replaced the front sight with a sport sight, replaced the rear duck tail with a peep sight at the bolt, and replaced the original stock with a duckhead stock. I was initially going to keep this as is, mount a scope, and use it as a hunting rifle, but have since decided to attempt to restore it to its former glory. My question revolves around replacing the stock. JG Sales has Turkish Mauser stock for $46 shipped. They include the handguard and the hardware, which is important, since the person who bubbafied this weapon cut the stock ring in half to make it fit. Will this fit on my k98? Also, SOG has M24/47s and M48s. This would be another option as I could use the stock to restore my K98, and then use the guts from the less collectible gun to make my hunting rifle. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:28 PM

Turkey used many different models of the Mauser rifles from the 1888 through their own M1944. The stocks are not interchangeable across all models.

Make sure J&G's Turkish stock is for the specific model that you need

www.RCArms.com

My Facebook Business Page: RCArms

My Facebook Blog Page: Milsurpcollector

NRA Life Member
GCA Member
US Army Veteran
Old 08-28-2013, 03:41 PM

Also, if you are interested in a short Columbian M1950 stock, I have one of those in my parts rack that I'd let go fairly inexpensively.

Don

www.RCArms.com

My Facebook Business Page: RCArms

My Facebook Blog Page: Milsurpcollector

NRA Life Member
GCA Member
US Army Veteran
Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 PM

M24/47s and M48s use a shorter action than the standard K98, so the stocks will not interchange. Even if they did, putting your barreled action into a stock from a different model wouldn't make it any more valuable to a collector. You would just end up ruining any collector value the "donor" rifle had.

It sounds like your rifle's pretty far gone already. If it's been drilled and tapped for the peep sight, that puts a big dent into its value to a collector. Does it show signs of being a Russian capture? The easiest way to tell would be electropenciled numbers on the bolt, floorplate and other parts, along with fresh black reblue. Most Mauser collectors already turn down their noses at Russian captures, and coupled with the damage already done, that rifle wouldn't have a lot of value except as a shooter. If it's not a Russian capture, depending on factors like the maker code and date and whether or not it has a matching bolt (rare) it could still retain some value of it was in a correct stock, but finding a correct stock is not going to be easy.

If you just want a shooter that still looks the part of a military rifle, and you don't want to throw good money after bad, your best bet might be to look for a stock from a Russian capture that someone has cast off. The Russian capture stocks were crudely refinished in shellac, with a serial number stamped into the butt, and are pretty easy to identify and don't hold a lot of value in themselves, so you if you scrounge around a bit you might be able to find one at a reasonable price.

I don't mean to dissuade you, but if you're going to attempt some kind of restoration you should keep a realistic mindset and understand that you're probably not going to come out ahead financially. Mauser collecting is very different than Garand collecting in that you can't swap parts around to increase the value of your rifle, unless you're very good and very unethical. What's commonly referred to as "correcting" in Garand circles is called "faking" by Mauser collectors.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 PM

Get a yugo K98 stock set for $100 from R guns or gun parts or flea bay. Or get a legit set from "mario" on fleabay. They come off demilled Norweigin (sp) German K98s. usually very nice shape, numbers matching. If its been sporterized, it will just be another restored K98. Without matching numbers and totally un messed with, around $400 on a decent day. Keep that in mind. Now for me, I dont care. Ive put a couple together and have way too much into them. But I like them so whatever. I dont sell my stuff. You will need a large ring K98 stock set. Turks or M48's will not work. Watch gun boards also.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:44 PM

I don't know enough about them to tell if its been penned. The numbers "4014" appear everywhere including on the bottom plate, bolt, saftey, and what's left of the stock ring. Where the barrel connects to the receiver are what looks like a cursive c and what looks like a , followed by an English G and the numbers 2482. Also what looks like a cursive k and a backwards 9. I count 3 Nazi eagles . It also says Mod 98 next to the receiver. No import marks. Ian Tokeo, you may be right about being to far gone. That fricking peep sight may be the death of this gun. I guess I just may continue the work and get it tapped for a scope, and have an interesting hunting rifle. I guess for $250, I still have one of the best bolt actions ever made. If you think I may have something worth restoring, shoot me your email address and I'll send pictures.

Tags
k98, mauser