Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 01:43 PM

Smile Barrel cleaning....................!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meplat View Post
Rest assured, it will only go on for as long as you have steel left in your barrel

I wonder how I could convert everything to a pistol. Just think, probably the first M-1 Garand Pistol in existence.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:23 PM

Smile Barrel cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTurn View Post
How well does it shoot?
To Meplat and MyTurn as well as others.............
Took my piece to the range. I wanted to shoot it, about 24 times and warm up the barrel and then scrub it. That part worked. I did not count the number of black patches or the number of times I wet it down but it just kept going. Like a Timex! Once cool, went home and brushed it wet and then brushed it dry. Same appearance, but to a lesser extent. Did not shoot a target, but I did shoot the same rock over and over until it shattered-about 85 yards. Will "play" with bore and print on paper soon. I have never shot that fast and was surprised to see the forward and rear handguards sweat. I guess that things warmed up pretty good. Later. Looking forward to any technical advice on the electrolysis approach.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:33 PM

Wink Barrel Cleaning

Meplat & Myturn, and others: life is good. My barrel is coming up clean. What is interesting is that the process is "cleaning up" from the chamber forward. So far, I have a clean barrel from the chamber to approximately 7 inches from the muzzle. Manana, (tomorrow for all you other guys), I am going to attempt to clean the last segment of the barrel. The stuff I am using is Sodium Carbonate (laundry additive) and the current applied is below 500 milliamps. This IS SUPPOSED TO BE SAFE for steel as the base material will not be attacked. Blind Eddy said that the lock could be picked with a needle fabricated by Dirty Ed. Hmmmmmm........................
Old 01-11-2014, 12:26 PM

Default Barrel cleaning Part ?

It's as clean as a whistle except for the portion of the bore forward of the gas port-might end up dealing with a different animal.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:36 PM

It has been my experience with home diy electro bore cleaning is you just keep un locking layers and layers of fouling be it metal,powder or rust....I had a mosin that was actually shiny when I got it bot shot poorly. I never did get clean patch from it. So one day I said I'm getting this thing clean. All I think I did was remove the highly polished metal and powder fouling. I was left with a grey bore. Clean but grey. Accuracy improved greatly. Did same with my 1st garand that had a filthy barrel.
My new method for nasty bores is to use a 50/50 simply green hot water solution. Plug up chamber and gas port. Fill and let soak.
Then a scrubbing run. Finally I use several foam cleaner runs. Then sweats 762. Then finally electro bore clean.

Are you sure you have your leads correct.?

Last edited by mac1911; 01-11-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:50 AM

Smile Barrel Cleaning-the continuing saga!

The barrel is clean! Scrubbed the devil out of it, last night and finally reached nirvana. Couldn't get the last few patches dirty. Left the bore wet, with Shooter's Choice and will double check this AM. I did have to buff the chamber as some of the debris settled in that area during the procedure.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:18 PM

Wipe out works in all my rifles. Had one bore scoped this summer at a match, it did what it is supposed too.

FCB III

THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to General Washington, Dec. 4, 1788
Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 PM

Smile Barrel Cleaning-Showing the true colors

Ran a wet patch through my "pristine" (ha..ha..) barrel and came up with a shade of green that might belong in a Walt Disney cartoon. Ran the barrel through the numbers, like my DI used to say, and now everything is AOK. Will print a target and report results. The edges of the rifling look quite sharp but the grooves do show signs of pitting-I wonder if corrosive ammo did this. And, most of the tell-tale signs appear to be in the last 4-6 inches from the muzzle. I haven't run into that particular shade of green before-it's strange! If this step-child doesn't perform, I might take a very clo$e look at the .35 Whelen as a follow up to my present situation. I really want to keep this receiver-barrel combo together. The finish is outstanding, the wood is almost unblemished, and I like putting my hands on this particular piece. Semper Fi!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 PM

Red face Barrel cleaning, "Is that all, she said?"

Barrel is clean. Went to the range and fired 16 rounds. Fired 8 more and closed my eyes. Did better with the last eight. I figure that the barrel was pretty well used up when I cleaned it the first time. I did the electrolysis thing and did remove a lot of "crud". And.............here I am, a little wiser, and contemplating the FIRST M-1 Garand Pistol. Thanks to all who gave advice. Semper Fi!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:44 PM

Question Too clean

The HRA Service grade Garand I recently received was in great shape until I got to the bore, couldn't even see any rifling and it was real dark. I tried GI bore cleaner, Hopes #9 with no results. So then after reading this post I decided to try electrolysis, built a set-up using a cell phone charger and used a piece of #6 copper wire as the rod down the barrel. After running a few batches of 25% vinegar in distilled water I had some crud but no visible results, I then tried ammonia and water, and the vinegar/ammonia & water mix. still some crud but no visible results. checked the muzzle and it had gone from 2.5 to way over 3. I'm now looking for a new barrel. Do you think using the copper rod caused the electrolyte to eat out the barrel?