Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM

Default Reloading M1 Garand - SO Much To Digest - Questions

Hello - I've searched around quite a bit and have settled on a proposed load for my M1 garand. I do have an adjustable gas plug, but I want a easy to maintain (i.e. not having to frequently adjust) reliable load.

I was looking at the following.

Hornaday FMG-BT 150gr Bullets
CCI 200 Large Rifle Primers
46gr IMR-4895 Powder

I know that the 4895 gives a good burn rate similar to the M2 ball if I'm not mistaken. I plan on starting out at 44gr of powder and work my way up to 46gr to judge performance.

Thoughts?

E
Old 03-21-2014, 09:15 AM

No need to start at 44gr, start at 46gr. Lake City M72 Match ammo uses more than that for it's 174gr bullet. I normally use the following:

147gr - 155gr bullet: 47.5gr IMR4895
168gr - 170gr bullet: 47.0gr IMR4895
174gr - 175gr bullet: 46.5gr IMR4895 (duplicates M72 Match)

Hope that helps.

Don
Old 03-21-2014, 10:17 AM

That really helps - thanks!

Any Hogdon 4895 recipies?

Last edited by obsessive; 03-21-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSR View Post
No need to start at 44gr, start at 46gr. Lake City M72 Match ammo uses more than that for it's 174gr bullet. I normally use the following:

147gr - 155gr bullet: 47.5gr IMR4895
168gr - 170gr bullet: 47.0gr IMR4895
174gr - 175gr bullet: 46.5gr IMR4895 (duplicates M72 Match)

Hope that helps.

Don
+1
Old 03-21-2014, 10:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Well-meaning people will try to have you believe loading for the M1 is a mysterious and arcane art. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Any load of IMR 4895 from about 43 to 48 grains behind a 150-155 bullet will give you reliable, accurate ammunition. The high end will come close to duplicating milsurp ballistics, but there is no reason to do this just to do it. The lighter loads are easier on you and on the rifle.

Once you settle on a load, why would you ever "adjust" it?
ACEP-certified coach
Old 03-21-2014, 10:56 AM

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolarco View Post
Well-meaning people will try to have you believe loading for the M1 is a mysterious and arcane art. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Any load of IMR 4895 from about 43 to 48 grains behind a 150-155 bullet will give you reliable, accurate ammunition. The high end will come close to duplicating milsurp ballistics, but there is no reason to do this just to do it. The lighter loads are easier on you and on the rifle.

Once you settle on a load, why would you ever "adjust" it?
I agree ,when I started looking into reloading for my garand I was very confused by all the conflicting threads and posts about everything from powders to primer pockets. In the end I read my manuals/books and someone said to use the starting loads from Lyman and that was when everything fell into place.

Jim

John Wayne in "Shootist"
Old 03-21-2014, 11:13 AM

Now I just have to find some IMR 4895. It's not available locally or online from my searches.

I'd rather give up (potential) accuracy for an easier 'hit' on the rifle. Parts are pricey. My exact goal is no changes what-so-ever and to be able to just leave things 'as is'. The comment on 'adjusting' things was me stating that I don't want to mess with a gas screw all the time. If I get a good mix, I'll keep running it and sail along happily

Thanks!

Last edited by obsessive; 03-21-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessive View Post
Now I just have to find some IMR 4895. It's not available locally or online from my searches.
IMR-4064 is gtg and I have been finding it easier to find lately.

It's a longer stick than IMR-4895 and it crunches when you throw the charge. It's not a big deal, it's just what it does.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
IMR-4064 is gtg and I have been finding it easier to find lately.

It's a longer stick than IMR-4895 and it crunches when you throw the charge. It's not a big deal, it's just what it does.
+1
Old 03-21-2014, 01:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessive View Post
I'd rather give up (potential) accuracy for an easier 'hit' on the rifle. Parts are pricey. My exact goal is no changes what-so-ever and to be able to just leave things 'as is'. The comment on 'adjusting' things was me stating that I don't want to mess with a gas screw all the time. If I get a good mix, I'll keep running it and sail along happily

Thanks!
There is no need to give up accuracy for lighter loads. Lighter loads are just as accurate as full-power loads. Lots of people win matches using lightly-loaded 110s and 125s. You only need full-charge loads if you are going to 600.

An adjustable gas plug is a solution to a (mostly) non-existent problem. Adjustable gas plugs are for those who want to shoot very heavy loads. In my opinion, heavy loads are why God invented bolt actions.

You have lots of powder choices for your M1. Just buy the Hornady manual and read the section on loading for the M1. Any load in this section will produce accurate ammunition that will cycle any properly set up rifle. I would be cautious about using any load you get on a forum, even this one. My recommended range for powder charges is stiffer than Hornady's max loads. However, legions of shooters have been using similar loads for decades.

Unless you stray very far from reasonable loads, you will not break your rifle. Your rifle will outlive you and your children. A new set of springs every few years is about it. (Mostly just the clip latch spring.)
ACEP-certified coach