Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2015, 03:22 PM

Usual good eye.

May make sense to keep them from being locally :re-arsenaled "!

Having seen the amazingly accurate and detailed aircraft models they made (bulsa) using scarped files and hacksaw blades I would never under estimate their ingenuity (though scary what would happen to a newly heat treated 1917 if fired)

Be interesting to find out how hot a fire would need to get to ruin the guns
Old 01-02-2015, 04:17 PM

Some very neat information here.

Just for fun, here is the inventory tag on my M1917:

A mutt with a Winchester 12-17 barrel and very nice arsenal parkerizing job. Stock shows the original eagle proof and two P proofs. Augusta Arsenal rebuild stamp. So it's been around the block a few times.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:21 PM

Mutt or not, that's a great piece of history I have not seen before.

Also interesting with the W barrel.

I certainly am up to getting educated (or corrected) but have yet to have anyone present one that was a re-arsenal that was re-barred let alone one with a different mfg. Obviously that's hard to tell but the ones I have seen had civilian indicators.

obviously it could be done but all that had it looked to have been civilian done. queries out on other forums and no one has put forth a candidate.

E Stock?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:31 PM

Interesting observation RC. Come to think of it, I can't recall seeing another barreled like this either. Granted my only en mass experience with Enfields was with the final bolt action release at the North Store a few years ago (this one did not come from there, Dupage last year), but the only replacement barrels that stand out in my memory after handling a hundred or so were Johnson Automatics.

I am inclined to think it was military replaced mainly because of the finish. The parkerization matches too well to have been done at any time other than when it was on the rifle. While not indicative of anything by itself, the condition in which I received it made it clear it wasn't done recently. I spent three days cleaning dried, caked cosmoline out of the recesses and low points from all of the metalwork. So the barrel was installed before it was refinished and dunked in cosmo for storage. You could probably fake that kind of detail but...why?

All of the major parts are Eddystone, stock included, but there are a few little Remington bits, including the bolt release if I remember right. I'll take it out for some better daylight photos tomorrow. If Michigan's anemic winter sun qualifies.

Last edited by ShaveTail; 01-02-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:03 AM

...so this is interesting: to double check that I don't have dementia, I pulled the rifle out to have another look at the barrel. Still 12-17 W. But the stock... has two extra W's as well. It is E marked on the nose, but as these two mixed into the hieroglyphs.

One in front of the trigger guard:

An a half struck, upside down one near the swivel I always thought was a IV before:

And of course a rack number and two boxed P's:

Could the thing have made a stop at Winchester between wars, or was the nightwatchman named William? To my knowledge Winchester didn't have anything to do with reworks.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:34 PM

I do want to make clear that there are vastly more knowledgeable people on these than myself, so my observations are from my experience and what I have been able to find in print (Ferris having done a tremendous job in my opinion and all hard data has tracked so far).

That said, my take was yours was the first one I had seen that had an authentic feel to it in regards to a different barrel on the receiver. Your observation on it would confirm it as much as it can be. That's very interesting.

with the use they saw you would think replacement barrels would be quite common. So either not a lot of replacement barrels , short service and easier to just replace the rifle or they never got to the point they made extra barrels as the desperate need was for whole rifles initially and by the time they got shot out they had plenty and or the war was over?

As AK49 shooter noted to me, there is a lot of the basic production stuff that is unknown that would seem to have been available and known with some digging. Real blank in some of this.

Really good to see yours, the kind I like with a lot of character.

As a side note I have been reading the various accounts of who really Eddystone Rifle plant was and there is several discrepancies.

One actually has Midvale Steel taking the plant over in 1916 (and several other references in the Remington Society though Poyer was one of the co authors, it did site a NY newspaper reference)

Quote:
In 1916, Marcellus Hartley Dodge sold his company's interest in the Remington Arms Company of Delaware and in the military contract for rifles to the Midvale Steel and Ordnance Company, taking in return 400,000 shares of Midvale stock of $20,000,000 par value. [Note: New York Sun, November 24, 1916.]
Ferris has one listed Baldwin VP and an assistant from a non specified company building and equipment the plant and overseeing it, Remington society has John Thompson in that role.

Tags
1917, winchester