Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2015, 08:40 AM

Default Recently purchased M1D/stock replacement

I recently purchased an M1D from CMP , with a well used stock. I am thinking of replacing the stock with a newer one. Were the M1D stocks matched to the rifle or was it slapped together randomly?
Old 01-10-2015, 08:51 AM

This is up for much debate, but typically an open box SA with RA stamp on the stock is the accepted "correct" stock. However back in the day there is no way to know exactly what all went on and if any other arsenals did any as well. I think Tooele did some as well later on. Mine doesn't have the correct stock but a period correct GAW that has had the holes drilled at some point in it's life for the cheek pad. My feeling would be that if the stock did not need to be replaced at the time of rebuild/conversion, that it would not have been replaced. I am sure others with more insight and knowledge will chime in to correct me if I am wrong and enlighten us further.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:55 AM

The M1Ds that CMP has been selling are the Greek returns, so many had their stocks changed over over the years. I've seen them with walnut WWII stocks, post war HRA and SA stocks with DAS cartouches, no cartouches just a P mark on the grip, birch stocks, and I suspect some came back with beech stocks if they were Danish returns.

M1Ds were also built at different points, originally in the early 1950, where they had SA-RA "open box" stocks installed, as Raritan Arsenal did the original conversions. Some M1Ds were made in the 1960s by Toole Arsenal, and they have a unique light grayish parkerized finish. I've seen them with both walnut and esp birch stocks. Anyhow, anything is fine on an M1D, but many collectors like the SA-RA stocks, which have become rare and expensive.

Last edited by Random Guy; 01-10-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:37 AM

Right now the rifle is an excellent shooter.The stock is Birch and has taken a real beating. The trigger is smooth and crisp. Which is very unusual for any M1.. The simple answer is that I will switch stocks and see how it shoots.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:44 AM

This stock has nothing on it not even a P..

Tags
m1d