Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What should I do with this IHC-LMR Barreled Receiver?
Replace the barrel 5 10.00%
Sell the barreled receiver AS-IS 0 0%
Try to find someone who can repair it, if repair is even possible 2 4.00%
Reassemble the rifle and sell it (with proper disclosure of course) 1 2.00%
Do Nothing, Live with it 42 84.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2015, 05:37 PM

That one would make for a good experimental one for electrical rust removal testing. http://www.instructables.com/id/Elec...val-aka-Magic/
Old 10-25-2015, 07:43 PM

Man that is pretty rusty. I would have sent that back for an exchange. That happened once to me when i got an M44 mosin nagant. Didnt have time to strip it down and the outside looked fine. A month later i stripped it and it was rusted all under the upper handguard and looked pretty ugly. I guess you just didnt get around to stripping it?
Am i off in that field grades should not have that much rust / pitting?
Old 10-25-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansirem Hunter View Post
Man that is pretty rusty. I would have sent that back for an exchange.
Yes, I thought about that, but I don't feel right asking for an exchange due to me not examining the rifle until six months after I received it.

I am sure CMP would have done something if I had contacted them on a timely basis. It was my error in not inspecting the M1 thoroughly when I received it.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:39 PM

Default Clean It Up ... See How It Shoots ...

We are shooters and not collectors. Clean it up and see how it functions and prints. If it functions 100% and prints on target at various ranges good enough, just enjoy it as a shooter. But ... if the little rifle has function or gross accuracy problems, then a decision must be made. FWIW, that is what I would do.

Which would be ... Gage everywhere/everything on the rifle. Then shoot it and see how it does. The function must be 100% by our feeble standards. If the rifle prints where it should within 4-6 inches at 100 yards, then that is better then we can do holding from the shoulder. If this all happens, we would just keep it.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:23 PM
Banned

"...Man that is pretty rusty..." It's not, but I'd call customer service too. Unless you've left it some place wet since April.
Bit of oil and 0000 steel wool will take that surface rust off. Nothing fixes pitting.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:27 PM

I'd rebarrel it. I wouldn't want to shoot a barrel with pitting like that in the highest stress area of the barrel.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:08 PM

No one like rust and pits. However, the pitting isn't deep enough to affect safety. The bottom line is how it groups. It's a FG rifle, not a collector piece. If it gives acceptable groups I'd leave it alone. I would have contacted CMP Customer Services upon receipt but would be hesitant to do so 6 months later.

Let us know your final decision. Good luck
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 10-26-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman2 View Post
I would have contacted CMP Customer Services upon receipt but would be hesitant to do so 6 months later.

Let us know your final decision. Good luck
Thanks all for the feedback.

I will not contact CMP customer service because I do not feel it would be fair to them; seeing how I have had the rifle for six months. Yes, I do wish I had inspected it the week I got it, but I was working on other projects.

I will clean it up as best I can, reassemble it as a mixmaster, and use it as a shooter.

I will use the other IHC parts that it came with on another IHC I am working on. Also, the stock that came with it is a perfect match for a 1944 SA I have.

All in all I made out just fine and am thankful that CMP affords us the opportunity to buy Garands.

And, the poll results were very interesting. I appreciate all the opinions from others.

Mark
Old 10-26-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunray View Post
"...Man that is pretty rusty..." It's not, but I'd call customer service too. Unless you've left it some place wet since April.
This place is ultra dry and arid. When I take a shower the water evaporates before it hits the floorpan.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
I'd rebarrel it. I wouldn't want to shoot a barrel with pitting like that in the highest stress area of the barrel.
Why? Shallow pitting wont hurt anything

Tags
barrel, pitting, rust