Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2015, 05:28 PM

Default M1A1 Carbine Purchase Help

Hey guys,

I am trying to buy an M1A1 Carbine and have a couple good leads but want to ask a few questions about them first.

Both of the ones I am looking at have CMP paperwork. They both have Type 2 milled adjustable sights and neither of them have rearsenal markings. Here's the thing- one of them is 5.16 million and may have originally been fitted with the Type 2 sights, but the other is just below 700 thousand and would have had the flip L sight originally. Can anyone explain how it may have gotten the Type 2 sight despite not having rearsenal markings? Eg. was this done in the field?

Also, the only parts on them that don't seem to match the rest of the rifle are the bolts. The 700k has a flat parked bolt instead of a flat blued one. I have been told that the CMP received these without bolts and that they installed bolts that headspaced correctly when they were received. Can anyone verify this? If it's true, it makes sense that the bolts don't match.

Finally, what bolt would be correct for a 700k and a 5.16m? I'm thinking a flat blued and a round blued respectively.

Thanks in advance for the input guys!

Best,

Steve
Old 11-06-2015, 06:27 PM

Not specifically about the M1A1, but rebuilds at foreign facilities were not supposed to be marked, only those rebuilt domestically. Carbines by and large have been all over the world, outside US custody for much of their service life.

Roughly zero percent of all carbines have a traceable lineage of where they've been and who had them from the time they were manufactured.

Last edited by meplat; 11-06-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:54 PM

And stock could have been swapped out at some point.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:59 PM

More than likely the paratrooper stock was originally on another carbine. It's almost impossible to find an original M1A1 stock with its original barreled action still in it. As far as the bolt question goes, it's very likely that the 5.16 would have a round bolt in it. Check the staking to see if the milled type two sight is original to that carbine. I don't know how much access you have to it since you are looking at it right now and actually don't own it.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:58 AM

Thanks for the replies. How would I know from the staking? Would there be multiple marks?

Best,

Steve
Old 11-07-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
Thanks for the replies. How would I know from the staking? Would there be multiple marks?

Best,

Steve
Look for divot marks in the dovetail (adjustable sights) or index/slash marks on the dovetail if it had a flip sight in it at one time. That's the most generic way to say it, but there are plenty of anomalies out there too in the name of securing both types of sights in place. Good luck if you decide to buy.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:03 AM
Banned

CMP rifles like that usually had a hang tag detailing some or even most of the parts at time of grading. The original purchaser got that and should have it. If he doesn't you might want to know why not. A lot of people correct them to their tastes and the hang tag doesn't support the current condition. I changed the trigger group and swivel on my auction M1A1, but have the hang tag still.

If it auctioned, you can look it up on the old or new site and see pics of it as it sold from CMP.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:09 PM

Thank you guys very much for the input!

I will post follow-up questions as they come.

Best,

Steve
Old 11-08-2015, 11:06 PM

1st and 2nd prod's are the best, if original, but hard to find unless at auction or by luck. There is, in my opinion, value in M1A1's that have visited the arsenal. Some of the arsenal's are hard to find. Aresenals are still legit andUsually cheaper which is a plus and can keep one busy while looking for something better. As mentioned, not hard to find the "correct" B/A and drop it in a stock. Nothing wrong with CMP's either but most go through the roof due to bidding wars or have issues like trashed leather or cracks. Have warmed to cracked stocks recently depending on the location and size. Enjoy CMP M1A1's, but I don't have one yet. Even like M1A1s arsenals where the B/A was changed depending on the maker and originality.

To summarize, nothing like an M1A1. Or two or three.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:48 AM

Haha, I was excited to get a reply from a username like that! I agree, I will probably open up to other options. I want to check one out that I think is claimed to be a vet bringback... We'll see how well documented the story is

Tags
buying, carbine, m1a1