Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2016, 09:36 PM

Default reliable magazine options to feed the carbine...

What are some good options today for *reliable* and readily available m-1 carbine magazines? I don't care about collector value, or whether they are WW2 vintage or USGI, just functionality.

Thanks,

John
Old 07-01-2016, 10:06 PM

I think you will find a lot of comments about commercial made mags...both good and bad. But, you never hear a bad thing about USGI mags. They're not as available as commercial but they are there if you look. Price is generally more but quality is the key...if you get a couple good ones you won't need any others! IMO
Old 07-02-2016, 04:53 AM

I have a friend who is known to leave finger prints in penny's he holds onto them so tight. He scrounges G.I. mags at flea markets and does not mind if they have a little rust. Cleans them up, puts in a new spring and shoots them. Says the rust marks are beauty marks and give the gun character!
Old 07-02-2016, 05:51 AM

If you look around there really are plenty of original USGI magazines still available. If you are in need of just a couple of reliable magazines for shooting it is probably worth spending the money for NIW [new in wrap] USGI magazines. Just like with any magazine feed firearm, without reliable, properly functioning magazines, your carbine may not perform as needed. I have had otherwise perfectly fine USGI Carbines experience malfunctions caused by USGI magazines in poor, worn out condition. You can rebuild magazines with replacement springs, followers and floor plates if needed, but it may be much easier, and sometimes cheaper to just buy a couple NIW or otherwise excellent condition USGI magazines.

All this being said there are some very reliable commercial magazines available. I do not have nor have I ever tried any of them so someone else will have to tell you which ones they are.

Good luck with your search.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:47 AM

GI is still the best option. If you're going to get USGI, it's much better to get excellent or new condition and pay a bit more. The more used, the more chances of flaws like bent feed lips or weakened springs.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:01 AM

As expected most folks here would climb over rusty barbed wire - to get USGI mags.... that's to be expected. Me, like the original poster - I'm the farthest from a collector in any sense of the word.

I recently ordered three 15 round mags from Aim Surplus (they're Korean made but do have a good reputation for new manufacture.....). I was very pleased with the result and will be heading to the range next week to verify performance before placing them in service....
Here's their site.... http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MM1C

They were recommended by several different 30 carbine sites that I visit. So far the recommendation was right on the money...
Old 07-02-2016, 08:35 AM

thanks all!
Old 07-02-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemaymiami View Post
As expected most folks here would climb over rusty barbed wire - to get USGI mags.... that's to be expected. Me, like the original poster - I'm the farthest from a collector in any sense of the word.

I'm a collector in every sense of the word, and I favor USGI mags not because I'm a collector, but because I shoot them quite often and in my experience they are generally better made, better fitting, and more reliable.

There are commercial mags that work very well, and there are USGI mags that I've come across that didn't work well for various reasons, but generally speaking it's better to spend the extra money for a new condition USGI mag in my opinion.

The only problem I have with the Koreans is that many(or most all these days) tend to have the hold open follower, which I don't care for at all.

Tony
Old 07-02-2016, 10:41 AM

Don't believe the ones I just purchased (as noted above) have the hold open feature (at least when comparing them to the mags I currently have...) but I'll report later this week if I can get to the range...
Old 07-02-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
The only problem I have with the Koreans is that many(or most all these days) tend to have the hold open follower, which I don't care for at all.

Tony
Why don't you care for the hold open followers? Is there a downside to them? Assuming they are reliable and work as they are supposed to, I would consider this a useful feature.

Tags
carbine, magazine, reliable