Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2016, 08:16 AM

I use the Korean mags, for several years and never have had a problem with them. As for the hold open cut on the back of the follower, they are fine but I wouldn't pay extra for them. I do have several that I shoot, they do hold the bolt back which making it quick to check for an empty chamber after the last shot. When you remove the mag of course the bolt slams shut.

I had a huge collection of G.I. mags and 13 carbines up until a few years ago.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 07-03-2016, 05:25 PM

Default Hold Open Followers Not Desirable And Why ...

After the last round the follower jams up the bolt. That is its function. To drop the mag one must first push the mag release button, THEN ALSO grab and RIP the mag out of the Carbine. Two, (2) motions.

This stresses the follower. After a couple dozen quick tactical reloads, the followers seem to get slightly bent out of specification. This also seems to polish the bottom of the bolt rim which may be good.

The non partial bolt hold open followers allow for a quicker cleaner mag change. Not having to either first retract the bolt OR grab and rip the mag out of the Carbine saves time, effort and muscle memory.

Once ripped out the Carbine, the bolt slams closed. Then the bolt must be racked to charge the Carbine after the new mag change. Another unnecessary step. A tactical solution is to dump partial mags.

Not good. How many of US count expended rounds? The habit of dropping partial mags for a full mag could extend to the point where you, under stress, are dumping half loaded mags. Also not good.

Sosss ... some reasons why bolt hold open mag followers may not be good. Some love them. I hate them. Not a collector. Just a shooter. Corrective action is easy through repetitive training. Much fun.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmac View Post
Why don't you care for the hold open followers? Is there a downside to them? Assuming they are reliable and work as they are supposed to, I would consider this a useful feature.
I prefer that my empty mags drop out of the well with no assistance and I'm lucky to have both the receivers and a large set of mags that allow this. The hold open follower requires extra effort and/or steps to remove the empty mag and to load a round from a new mag as outlined above. Either way, it's extra time and effort when I've found that counting rounds is a better option for me at least.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 07-03-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:39 AM

I buy nice GI and put new wolf springs in them. The 75 year springs are weak.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:45 AM

I use nothing other than USGI 15 & 30 round magazines. It just seems wrong to put a newly manufactured mag in an over 70-year old USGI M1 Carbine.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:30 AM

I had many problems with the new commercial mags. I found new USGI 15 round magazines at "What-A-Country". They appear to have never been used...come wrapped in old wax-paper...pricey...around $25, but they work flawlessly.

http://whatacountry.com/m1carbine15-roundmagazine.aspx
Old 07-05-2016, 08:54 AM

Don't need beauty queens for the range. My range mags are pitted, parked or thin finish left. They work every time and that's all I care about. I know if I took a new condition GI mag to the range I would drop it on the concrete or otherwise mess it up. With the ugly ones I don't worry. Added benefit is usually in that condition they sell cheaper.

Hold open is only good to keep you from dry firing. When the mag is out I pull the slide back and engage the slide stop. Drop mag, insert new mag, release slide. I would agree that yanking out the mag and letting the bolt drop is not the best method available. I am rarely in combat situations at the range so I go a little slower.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

For range mags, maybe some of the parkerized USGI mags would hold up better than the ones with the original blued finish. They wouldn't rust up from sweaty fingerprints.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:57 PM

I recently bought two Korean mags from GunMagWarehouse.com. They function properly, bolt holds open after the last round and the springs were actually oriented correctly. Price including shipping was $28 and change for both. Sorry I can't include a link since I'm at work and most gun related sites are blocked.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:54 AM

As noted I recently bought three 15 round mags from AIM Surplus and was very pleased... They do have the bolt hold open feature and good strong springs. They've functioned perfectly in my carbine (but it still has "other issues" so it's still not in service...).

Tags
carbine, magazine, reliable