Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2017, 01:07 PM

Smile First Garand

My first garand, 6201xx M1D, just received a few weeks ago from CMP. I've been visiting the forum for several months now and trying to learn about these rifles. I've really appreciated the wealth of knowledge here and still consider myself pretty much a garand newbie so hopeful some can chime in with their opinions on the rifle. I believe the 6201xx serial number dates the receiver to 1942 and the M1D barrel dates to 10/1952. Receiver seems to be in great shape with no pitting, stock(birch?) and handguards a little rough but nice character, and only 1 non SA part that I can discern after field stripping. The NM stamp on the op rod and plain "P" stamped on the stock (no other noticeable stamps/marks) seem unusual to what I have seen on other M1D's posted here. I guess I'm initially interested in any clues to the rebuild history and comments about what I may have here. Please check out the photos I have taken thus far. Looking forward to comments. Thanks.

https://goo.gl/photos/RAwfMrLYnWVw1noV7
Old 03-15-2017, 01:24 PM

Thanks for sharing. If you mean the double stamp ra over sa, it is not a definitive m1d purchased from cmp. It could still be original stock when the rifle was retrofitted back in 52. It is definitely a plus if it was stamped that way, but you seem to have a nicely put together D. Enjoy!
Old 03-15-2017, 01:55 PM

Kinda hard to be sure from the photos, but the proof on that stock has definite Anniston or Tooele characteristics to it.
You don't mention it and photos may not capture it, but is the right receiver leg etched with what looks like an electro-pencil with any info?

Rob
Old 03-15-2017, 02:32 PM

Sorry, yeah, I don't think i posted a pic of the right side leg. I'll take another look tonight and post it up if there is. Do all rebuilds from these arsenals have these etchings? I think I read somewhere that some of the M1D rebuilds were done in the field also. Thanks for taking a look. I'm really enjoying learning about the garands...don't think I'll be stopping at one!
Old 03-15-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddhawki View Post
don't think I'll be stopping at one!
It's a good sign you've past denial. Learning about Garands definitely is fun. Glad to have one more addict among us
Old 03-16-2017, 02:50 PM

Nice M1 but you have a big problem you will never stop at 1 M1 lol
Old 03-16-2017, 05:16 PM

Trust me, 1 is not enough. My first one was all it took for me to fall in love with these things, and I haven't stopped loving them since. Two years later, and two more rifles added to the collection! Still have more I want to add!
Old 03-16-2017, 09:41 PM

It's a constant struggle...I want another..I don't need it...I want another...I don't need it...I WANT ANOTHER!!!...I don't need it I WANT ANOTHER!!!!!!!!...maybe I need it..So I don't neeeeeed it, but I want it.....etc...etc... sigh

Veteran US Army, Artillery
NRA Member
My Dad was a Gun Captain on the USS Enterprise CV-6 WWll
Old 03-16-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgarand View Post
It's a constant struggle...I want another..I don't need it...I want another...I don't need it...I WANT ANOTHER!!!...I don't need it I WANT ANOTHER!!!!!!!!...maybe I need it..So I don't neeeeeed it, but I want it.....etc...etc... sigh
Man is this the truth! Resistance is futile!!

Tags
m1d