Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2018, 08:28 AM

Default My Winchester M1D

Good morning all!

My CMP Winchester M1D is finally complete. I am the second owner of this rifle. I searched for months to find it as I was looking for a Winchester (was really hoping for a Win-13, but that was hoping for a lot). The rifle came from the CMP as a Greek return, and as such, had the extremely black finish and I did not like that. I sent it to Shuff's for a repark job and at just under 3 months, it came back. Wow! I was amazed by Shuff's work and it turned out beautiful and looked USGI again. I had a beautiful "correct" matching stock set for it waiting that I had purchased off a forum member here. It has a closed box SA with RA cartouches. Once I got the stock on, I put on all the accessories. All the accessories are USGI, even down to the cheek pad screws. The sling matches the date to the cheek pad and the barrel is a 8-52 and the muzzle gauges at less than one with a bright shiny bore and she shoots great. I'm assuming after the conversion, she was put away into storage or used very little. Only have shot her once so far, but it was great. Below is the link to the album. Enjoy!

https://imgur.com/gallery/Nrg9dbN
Old 06-22-2018, 09:17 AM

Nice rifle! I picked up an SA M1D combo in March from the CMP and I love it.

Question: Did you get the dark manganese park from Shuff's? I'm going to send them a couple rifles soon, and I've been debating which park to ask for.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryDoug View Post
Nice rifle! I picked up an SA M1D combo in March from the CMP and I love it.

Question: Did you get the dark manganese park from Shuff's? I'm going to send them a couple rifles soon, and I've been debating which park to ask for.
Yes! That what I was debating on but the dark manganese would have been the correct finish for a WW2 rifle. That and I did not like the "battleship gray" color that he also does (personal preference on color) and that was usually the color for later rebuilt rifles in the 60's.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:36 AM

Default Really nice job

Scott,
Really nice job on this M1D. I have to agree I like the new finish better than one the Greeks would have put on it.
Makes me tempted to send one of mine for refinishing.

Rob
Old 06-22-2018, 04:08 PM

What a sharp looking rifle. Very nice. One of these days I'm going to have to spring for a D.

Tags
garand, m1d, sniper