Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2018, 11:19 PM

Gentlemen, Some time ago I tried some of the 69 grain IMI Razor Core ammo. It shot quite well and I was pleased until I had a blown primer during a match. It found its way into the trigger group and created quite a problem. I called the distributor and he stated that he had complaints about blown primers from every lot of Razor Core ammo he'd sold. He tried to tell me it was the chamber in my rifle. I explained to him that it was a mil spec Colt barrel and the barrel wasn't the issue. I got a refund for all unused ammo and immediately went to Black Hills ammo and never again had an issue. A word to the wish.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
Gentlemen, Some time ago I tried some of the 69 grain IMI Razor Core ammo. It shot quite well and I was pleased until I had a blown primer during a match. It found its way into the trigger group and created quite a problem. I called the distributor and he stated that he had complaints about blown primers from every lot of Razor Core ammo he'd sold. He tried to tell me it was the chamber in my rifle. I explained to him that it was a mil spec Colt barrel and the barrel wasn't the issue. I got a refund for all unused ammo and immediately went to Black Hills ammo and never again had an issue. A word to the wish.
This......while I have not shot enough to have blown primers, there a few shooters who have.
I found that CBC/mag tech shooots slightly better and slightly slower.......cheaper too!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:46 PM

I have the same Rock River NM upper. I found the Hornady 75gr BTHP to be excellent. If you don't care about reloading, you can save money on the aluminum cased version.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:00 AM

Default Update

Update on this thread.

I shot 2 x 40 round "matches" yesterday with Federal XM193, and 2 with IMI 77 grain razor core. Matches were at 100 yards on SR1 targets. Keep in mind I am not holding myself up as a great shooter. :-) better marksmen may well see more dramatic differences than I did.

I was having a little bit of an off day with the XM193 scores being at the lower end of my usual scores. I'm usually in the mid to upper 350's. My IMI average ended up being about 10 points better than my XM193 average.

The most noticeable difference wasn't the raw scores, but rather the size of the main grouping in each match. If I look at the grouping of the closest 30 out of 40 shots, the XM193 was about a 6 inch spread. The IMI was about a 4 inch spread.

XM193
342 8x
351 3x
----
346.5 avg

IMI Razor core
349 2x
364 7x (after adjusting windage 1 minute)
------
356 avg

One thing that my have made a difference is that I had 1 uncalled missing shot on both the 349 and 364 targets. due to limitations of being on a busy range, I shoot all 40 rounds onto the same target without scoring it in between stages. With the IMI grouping more tightly, I think it is likely that I missed some shots that were in the same holes. In the 364, all the shots I identified were 7 ring or better, so it is unlikely that I had an uncalled clean miss of the paper. In the 349, I had one called miss (but still on paper) in the standing stage, but all my other identified shots were 7 ring or better.

I think I'll change my procedure and start using 2 different targets for the match. Having 1/2 the number of holes should make less likely to not be able to identify double holes.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:41 PM

Default Winchester 62gn OT USA3162

From SGA AMMO. This ammo made for Winchester in Sweden(?) should be good for shorter ranges (300yd and under). From my White Oak Service Rifle upper and a target scope from the bench Iím getting about MOA@100.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:39 AM

The three brands I settled on after testing for a 1-8 are:
Federal Gold Medal Match 69 & 77 gr
Hornady 75 gr match
Both sold on the CMP site at a good price.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:13 PM

I would also strongly recommend looking up Loader Monkey Ammo on Facebook. Jack Abrams is a highpower shooter and is producing top quality ammo that is being used by several top tier shooters. Prices are fair and it shoots great.