Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2019, 03:51 PM

Default I Sportorized It Grrrrr

In 1961 my father bought a newly rebuilt 1903-A3 for me for $19.95. In 1973 I put a sport stock on it, but never did anything else with it. I have no idea what happened to the original stock, but itís long gone. (Yes, today Iím kicking myself for that). I looked at stocks some time ago and they were $800+. Too rich for my blood, but today at the CMP Store I saw ď086 - 1903 Stock Set "C" stock con-FIGURATION-W/CMP CARTOUCHEĒ. It says nothing about -A3. The price is reasonable, but wondering if it will fit the A3 also?

Here are some photos of what she looks like today.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:00 PM

$800???? Where were you looking? Should be able to find something for more like $200. You are also going to need a new handguard ring (yours is missing).

The CMP stock will not fit your rifle without modification.

Really cool rebuild marking, by the way.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:09 PM

Been too long since I looked. I have no idea where I saw that $800 stock, but the last time I looked before that, they were $400. Doubled in price in about 2 months. Where are some good places to look for an original stock?

What kind of modifications would that CMP stock need?
Old 02-13-2019, 04:15 PM

Call Dupage trading, they may have a few to choose from as well.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to bkleinhenz Send a message via MSN to bkleinhenz

You would have to cut the handguard ring slot to convert 1903 stock to fit a 1903A3. There are a lot listed on ebay right now.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:40 PM

Also dept: check out the drill rifle scene. I've seen a number of them with pretty nice stocks. Do NOT get one with the plastic stocks. As I understand it, they were made for drilling, not shooting. Also check the forum "wanna sell" sections for both stocks or DR's. They show up from time to time. I guess you're too far out to drive/fly to the South Store...
Old 02-13-2019, 08:24 PM

I believe that OBS 3 is Brisbane Australia - Overseas Base Station.

OBS were the repair bases that things got cycled to. One in GB, another in Italy (and I think a couple on the Continent as they broke out of Normandy)

Why 1903A3 were getting worked on at those late dates?

I had one that had been scoped, same thing and shiny brand new.

Like someone was making them to ship or sell or ???

Its a fairly rare aspect to have on it and no holes so OEM.

Mine also was an SC barrel, latter date and 6 grove. Seems like there was funny stuff going on at OBS3! Note the European style dating?

Last edited by RC20; 02-13-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:07 PM

Just out of curiosity might that bore have six groove rifling. December 42 dated Smith Coronas were possibly 6 groove rifling. They are not easy to find with that rifling. You might have something a bit unusual there.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:42 PM

Why kick yourself? What you did was totally equal to the value and appreciation of these guns at that time. Restocking shouldnít be a problem. Take a look at the Minelis (sp?) as an option.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallased View Post
Just out of curiosity might that bore have six groove rifling. December 42 dated Smith Coronas were possibly 6 groove rifling. They are not easy to find with that rifling. You might have something a bit unusual there.
I have never tried counting rifling grooves before. It was not easy. Very difficult to count and Iím not 100% sure of this, but it looks like 5 groove.

The father of a friend of mine brought home his 1903-A3 after WW II. It had been in the attic of his mothers home since then. He got his mothers permission to borrow it for a while. I took some photos of it before I cleaned it, and we put a bunch of rounds thru it. It is a Smith Corona. I donít have access to the rifle anymore, so no chance of counting the rifling grooves. A couple of photos of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
Why kick yourself? What you did was totally equal to the value and appreciation of these guns at that time. Restocking shouldnít be a problem. Take a look at the Minelis (sp?) as an option.
Depending on the forum one is posting in, sportorized 1903-A3's is a huge no no, but you are correct. It was what people did with those rifles back then. Who knew how much that would devalue the rifles some 45 years later. Back then I thought they were ugly. I now see them in a different light. As is, the rifle is worth $300 to $400 from what Iíve been told. Worth significantly more with the original stock. I will Never sell this gun, but it seems that restoring with an original stock would increase the value. Iím only interested in the increased value for estate purposes.

Last edited by Big_Red; 02-14-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts