Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2019, 02:50 PM

I started reloading in the late 1950's, using a Herter's single stage 12ga die set that fit my Herter's #3 press. Federal hulls were my favorite to reload as you could reload them 3 times before holes would burn through wear the paper met the brass. Fed's also had more inner room for my duck loads. I still have some cardboard wads and some top wads for roll crimped loads. Steel shot screwed all that up..... I think I will go now, sit in my Barnegat sneak box and read some 1950's Sports Afield magazines......
Old 04-26-2019, 06:41 PM

Default Steel shot screwed all that up.....

Yes I know, I have not shot ducks after we had to use steel shot did not want to shoot steel shot in any of my older shotguns...And my Dad used to take me and he is gone now.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat2 View Post
Yes I know, I have not shot ducks after we had to use steel shot did not want to shoot steel shot in any of my older shotguns...And my Dad used to take me and he is gone now.
My dad, son and I have a total of 19 shotguns. Out of the 19 only two will handle steel shot.

A 1968 Belgian Browning A5 12 Ga. 3" for which I purchased a new Jap Invector barrel to handle steel.

A 1959 Winchester Model 12 - 12 Ga. 2.75" that was bored to improved cylinder before it came to me. That gun was deadly using lead shot over decoys. For teal I used #8 dove loads. It played hell on doves also.

I no longer hunt so it doesn't matter to me anymore. My son uses the Model 12 but seldom duck hunts.

I have a beautiful Model 12 Heavy Duck Gun that is of no use.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 05-02-2019, 02:52 PM

I just recently acquired 3 full boxes of Federal Hi-Power 12ga #6. All three boxes full, doesn't look like they had ever been taken out of the boxes. In fact two boxes looked as if they had never been opened. I got ahold of the boys at Federal and they supplied me documentation that these shells were manufactured in 1953. I guess im a collector now.

https://imgur.com/a/jWrtRE0

Last edited by catangen; 05-02-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Ahhh yes . . . . .the old paper shells!
Back there, in the 50’s, when the local gun club would have their annual “field day”, as soon as the rounds of trap or skeet would end, I and other boys would race up to the various stations, scoop up the still smoking, paper shells, and SNIFF the fresh aroma of that old powder!
Best smell ever! . . . .
Anyone else remember?
I think when headed by firing, the waxed paper made that unique smell we all remember. That smell and pheasant for dinner are connections to my youth.