Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2019, 10:01 AM

Default Camp Perry attire

This is not the normal type thread but there is always good knowledge here. Anybody who has shot at Perry knows it can be very hot and humid. Blue jeans are heavy and if it rains are very uncomfortable. Shorts are OK but you deal with sunburn and if I use sunscreen I feel like I am cooking under a oily mess. I was looking for light weight, breathable and cooling slacks. Duluth trading company makes some that meet this criteria but at $75+ per pair I would like some opinions before shelling out the money. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

In the summer I shoot in North Face cargo pants with zip-off legs. They are very light and comfortable, but provide no padding at all. I rely on the mat, with maybe a blanket over it depending upon the terrain. My climate is just like Perry.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 05-22-2019, 10:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

I have found jeans to be a bit restrictive for getting into position and have opted for the Tru Spec pants. I like the weight, pockets, and the expanding waist.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SG52LK/ref=emc_b_5_i
Old 05-22-2019, 10:35 AM

I'm with the other two there. I've always found jeans to be hot in the summer and cold in the winter - not my first choice. Lightweight zip-offs are the way to go there in my eyes. Then pray for a cooling breeze off the Lake. Check the various discount big-box stores for some. Go for comfort - loose fitting, too. Don't worry about high fashion. Not many people there to impress, except with fancy shooting.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:56 AM

Have you tried USGI poplin jungle pants?
Old 05-22-2019, 11:07 AM

I normally wear some type of pants while Im shooting, then switch into shorts when I head to the pits. The zip off legs sound intriguing
Old 05-22-2019, 12:21 PM

Wrangler rip stop cargo pants and a dri-fit shirt. Wear a ball cap on the line and a boonie cap the rest of the day.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:28 PM

Yup, lightweight cargo type pants too. Some with zip off legs, or one of my favorites is 5.11 urban tactical (slimmer fit, no cargo pockets, lightweight and NO cotton). Personally I don't really find shorts much cooler, especially when out in the sun as then your skin isn't getting hot, or sunburned (and who usually gets enough sunscreen on the back of your legs). Shooting in shorts is just inviting your neighbors hot brass to roll right under your bare skin too (been there done that, hurts).
Old 05-22-2019, 03:20 PM

here is what I wear in the hot and humid summers in NE ohio, these pants are cool ,metaphorically and figuratively speaking, very comfortably and loose with elastic waist band.

https://www.blair.com/p/76124.uts?pr...NNgreNzhqxMqE-

you can laugh all you want abut them being "old man pants", but I'm old, 63, and also wear Velcro strap shoes, life is too short to be constantly re-tying loose shoe laces
Old 05-22-2019, 03:44 PM

My favorite work pants are the 5.11 apex. The material is lightweight, drys quickly, and has some good stretch to them. I have done obstacle courses for work and many dynamic shooting ranges (lots of odd positions well) while wearing them. They are a bit pricey, but I'm going on about 2 years with constant work and abuse with them.