Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2019, 11:21 AM

Default Midwayusa

OT for sure, but a heads up. Just noticed Midwayusa charging California sales tax. No idea what is going on, but with heavy shipping costs and now sales tax I will be moving on from Midwayusa. Anybody know what prompted this?? Thanks.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:25 AM

If the state of CA mandated it in a tax law, merchants outside of CA must charge sale tax to that resident and send the tax to that state. There are other states already do this such as WA, DE, and NJ I can think of off hand.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:20 PM

They have to.

Not charging sales tax and selling into a state from outside the boundaries deprives the state of its revenues.

We can argue if those revenues and taxes are right or not but the outside the state model setup was to go around it and this brings it back in line with what people in the state incurred and makes it a more level playing field for in state businesses.

I am buying a cycle in Oregon and I won't get charged their taxes as its registered in my state. I am incurring no impact on Oregon (and will pay their fuel taxes) while in that state.

I will pay the country taxes on it in my state.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:22 PM

Amazon has been doing this for a while, Optics Planet started doing it recently too.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:35 PM

just about everyone is doing this now for online sales.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:01 PM

Euro optic is also doing it, for NY
Old 06-06-2019, 12:25 AM

I’m pretty sure California’s current laws don’t tolerate on-line shopping without sales tax. Amazon whined about it for years and suddenly figured out how they could make it work. That was a bunch of BS on the part of Bezos!
Old 06-06-2019, 01:54 AM

Over the past few decades, many states passed laws requiring us to pay state tax on out of state, and later more specifically, online purchases. If the vendors did not charge tax, when we filed our taxes at the end of the year or quarterly, if that is how you did them, you were supposed to claim your online sales. So online sales were rarely "tax free" anyway, we were simply required to pay them ourselves when we did our taxes.

Most people ignored the requirement so many states have been fighting with vendors in the courts, to get them to charge state tax on online sales. Previously, the courts held that they only had to charge tax if they maintained a physical presence in the state. A more recent court case overturned that ruling, and many online vendors are now charging tax on out of state sales and paying those taxes to the respective state of the purchaser.

Research South Dakota vs. Wayfair if you want to learn more.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:56 PM

TargetsportsUSA started collecting state sales tax on out of state sales a few months ago.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:07 AM

Yes. It is due to a Supreme Court decision last year. Requires Congressional action to fix this. Midwayusa sent me decent email.