Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2019, 07:39 AM

Default Is poor quality ammo any danger.....???

Seems I mentioned this here before....I did write to them just after the first experience (no answer)......but Sundays shooting trip renewed the irritation...this is 9mm is in a white/green "Range Bucket" made by long time respected US gun mfgr..

The first problem time was last year. It was with a shoulder/hip fired 30 rnd stick mag. gun. The shooter pulled the trigger & the gun emptied the whole mag. while the shooter just hung on. Apparently the ammo lacked whatever to blow the bolt back to the sear. We only had the one shoulder gun with us at the time. This ammo wouldnt even attempt to work in a Luger, first rnd. failure to completely extract.

Yesterday was a different gun....sit down, on a bipod....but I took several varieties of 9 this time. Sure enuff, 50 rnds of above mentioned ammo in a 70 rnd drum produced the same result.....shooter was on & off the trigger several times during the 50 rnd run away. Tried it again in a 30 rnd stick....same thing. Switched to famous maker white box Wally-World ammo, gun worked perfectly......shooter on & off trigger produced normal stops. Local estate reloads were a bit sharper......

I bought 3 buckets of this sorry ammo on a sale deal package......came from Rural King store newspaper special.......certainly not a Rural King problem....... No real good solution this this nuisance........I am certainly not going to pull 1300 bullets & ad an 1/8 grain of powder. And I do not own any of the plaxtix "...wonder-9-pistols...".

PJH
Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 AM

It is a firearm problem not an ammo problem. It is a very dangerous firearm problem and they should be fixed before using again.

What firearms are these? Most modern firearm reset the trigger before stripping another round from the mag.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:03 AM

In all my years, I have never heard of ammo causing a firearm to go into full auto mode. I have bought and shot several of these Range Buckets of 9 mm ammo by Remington in multiple guns without an issue. By changing ammo different pressures may have prevented the run away firing but I have to agree with Bml. It is a gun issue, not an ammo issue. I'm sure others that are more experienced than I am will also comment. Good Luck.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bml View Post
It is a firearm problem not an ammo problem. It is a very dangerous firearm problem and they should be fixed before using again.

What firearms are these? Most modern firearm reset the trigger before stripping another round from the mag.
Could be an open bolt gun, with a fixed firing pin.

If the bolt does not go far enough back, it does not get caught by the firing assembly, and it fires until the mag is empty.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Sure, poor quality ammunition is dangerous.

Guns that run away full auto with no finger on the trigger should be hung on the wall. They are dangerous too.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 06-06-2019, 10:59 AM

Something sounds kinda crazy here, I have never heard of this happening and it being a ammo related problem. But if you say it happened in two different Firearms, maybe there is something to it. Kinda a crazy question maybe, but did both these Firearms happen to be worked on by the same person?

Are they open Bolt Guns. What type of Firearms exactly? Maybe that would help.

Hip fired? I you sure it was not being accidentally bump fired? Kinda hard to do a whole mag by accident though.

Name the Ammo Company, you should be allowed to do that, but whats the secret?

Last edited by carbineone; 06-06-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:30 AM

Default ammo

I own an open bolt FA (yes, registered) weapon. I can verify that under powered ammo will cause a run away. He also mentioned it would not fully extract from his Luger. My limited experience with them has shown that they prefer ammo on the hot side. I own several and they definitely like warmer ammo. I have shot reloads that worked plastic pistols just fine but would cause the Luger to short stroke.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:06 PM

Gun problem.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:34 PM

Original question was this ammo dangerous......??? I dont think so, but sure is a pain. Another here had a better experience with what seems to be the same ammo. Was that one of the newer plastic handguns.???

First response by Blm.....he was sure it was a gun issue. Another seconded him........ Further thought by either may have concluded "open-bolt gun".

Gents, re-read the second & third paragraph..... "hip fired"......many sub machine guns are hip fired...tucked under the shooting hand elbow. No bump firing needed....... This is definitely an ammo issue.......as stated the second gun had the same failure w/questioned ammo, but worked perfectly (normally) with "other ammo".......including reloads that were hotter than factory. I did not have the first gun with me this time........previous experience with it has let me know that it works perfectly with good ammo...

As to who may have worked on the guns, the first gun (last year) is WW 2 German, the second is US mfg., BRP.

PJH
Old 06-07-2019, 07:34 AM

Here you go, Guys......my shooter guns.

PJH