Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2019, 02:08 PM

On D Day I was a little boy at Boy Scout camp.
I walked ashore at LeHarve, France on D+183.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert C. Lovell View Post
On D Day I was a little boy at Boy Scout camp.
I walked ashore at LeHarve, France on D+183.
I can certainly see how that war could turn a boy into a man real quick. Thanks for your service Mr. Lovell
Old 06-06-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
My father landed on Utah beach today with 4th Infantry Division. My uncle dropped into Normandy last night with 82nd Airborne. They like all who were involved with D Day , they changed the course of history for the good. All of them made a difference, what a sorry place this world would have been for all of us had they failed !!!
THis your uncle?

A 97-Year-Old D-Day Veteran Just Parachuted Into Normandy — Again

ed.:
Looks like JR already got it posted...

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on 09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?

Last edited by ACampComLegacy; 06-06-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:30 PM

my grandfather was a member of Company C 115th infantry regiment of the 29th division, he hit the easy red sector of Omaha Beach early on June 6th 1944 at only 20 years old..... he went up the E-1 draw just east of St-Laurent......

He fought in Normandy in the drive to St Lo for 12 days receiving a combat infantry badge and a purple heart when he was wounded by Shrapnel from a German mortar during a counter attack at Bois De Bretel farm house 3 miles north of St Lo on June 18th..... he rejoined his unit in early December 1944 just in time for the drive into Germany..... He fought on the front lines until the end of the war.......

I was watching the ceremony yesterday morning noticed President Trump and the French President Macron were standing at the observation post at the American Cemetery, a mere 500 yards from the E-1 Draw that my grandfather entered France 75 years ago almost to the minute...... with the camera facing to the west and above the two leaders, i could actually see the draw in the background.......i shed some tears as i watched, thinking of my grandfather and all those of the greatest generation..... what a tough bunch they were.......

Last edited by bandhunter31; 06-07-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:41 PM

Two of my grandfathers brothers were Army and went ashore during D-Day, his brother in law was Army also and went ashore on D-Day, they never talked about their experiences. Another of his brothers was in the Navy on a sub chaser, but it was pulled from service after the Mediterranean Campaign and he was later reassigned to a LCT putting tanks on the beach at Normandy, after that the ship was transferred to the Pacific where it was involved in a least one landing and was going to be used for the landing on the Japanese mainland, but the Atomic Bombs were dropped ending the war.

My grandfather tired everything to get into the military, but his eyesight and flat feet kept him from serving, a disappointment and shame (His words not mine) he carried to his grave.

We were lucky that all our American family (Can't say that about our Dutch and German family) that served in WWII physically survived, wont say mentally survived, because we were told to never ask of one uncle's (My GFs brother in law) WWII experiences, he locked it away, threw the key away, and NEVER spoke of it. All my GF would say of his BIL is that he saw/experienced something (What I have no ideal) that no human should and it affected him deeply. He literally erased that period of time from his life.

To all our WWII veterans, we/I owe you an immense heartfelt thank you for allowing us/me the opportunity to grow up in a land of freedom.
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Last edited by USAF Sarge; 06-06-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:55 AM

Dad was with the First Division ( Big Red One ) on Omaha Beach. He passed at age 75, did not say much about that morning except many friends were lost. Miss you dad.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:18 AM

D+1.
The Germans have been driven back from the beach defenses, and the 2nd Infantry Division are on their way to push them back further.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:38 AM

I heard recently that White females of child bearing age are now only 2% of world population. Too bad diplomacy didn't succeed back then.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
D+1.
The Germans have been driven back from the beach defenses, and the 2nd Infantry Division are on their way to push them back further.

.. the pillbox remains but in a far better place now,...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-07-2019, 03:07 PM

The Great Generation God Bless All Are Service Men And Woman and keep them safe from harm