Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2019, 05:27 PM

Default A D-Day story you haven't heard.

my wife's Grandfather was an Army Chaplin in WWII. on June 6th, 1944 he disobeyed orders to stay on the ship until it was "safe" for him and his Jeep to go ashore. he climbed down into a landing craft to go ashore with "his Men", to Omaha Beach. I'm not sure which wave he went in on, but I believe it was an early one. once on the beach he helped with the wounded and dying. for many his was the last face they saw. at one point he stepped on a mine, but it didn't go off. at the end of the second day on the beach his uniform was soaked and stiff from blood. his only choice was to walk back into the ocean to wash out the blood. at the end of the second day they sent his Jeep out. he continued from Omaha beach and move across Europe even going into Berlin at the end.He was also caught up, briefly, in the Battle of the Bulge. he was wounded at some point. he had a severe burn on the leg. no one new from what, he never spoke about it.

Think about going onto Omaha Beach with only a Bible in your hand, I'd say that was real faith.

78jeep
Old 06-06-2019, 05:41 PM

Definitely! I can only guess that there was a demand for him on that beach that could not have been discounted. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:57 PM

To quote a movie line ballsy stupid but ballsy.
I had a great chaplain in my unit ( previous enlisted guy who could hold his own in a fight as well) and he was a great morale booster for the Troops for sure.
It is my hope that 30 years from now people will respect and appreciate what we did in Iraq and Afghanistan like we do those that came before us in WWII Korea and Vietnam
Old 06-07-2019, 07:29 AM

He was carrying the "Sword of the Spirit". "For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"......Heb.4:12. Thanks so much for sharing regarding this man - a true testament to his faith in God!

Last edited by accordionjohn; 06-07-2019 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Want to add a comment to this
Old 06-07-2019, 10:52 AM

Thanks for sharing the story. I haven't read a story yet of a Chaplin who was a coward.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Great story, thank you for sharing
Old 06-07-2019, 02:38 PM

Thank You for posting Great Story
Old 06-07-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
Thanks for sharing the story. I haven't read a story yet of a Chaplin who was a coward.
Not a coward, but we had one relieved for inappropriate conduct.

A couple of soldiers died in a jump out at White Sands, in
the early 80s. The chaplain reportedly missed attending a home
town funeral for one of the deceased, by sitting up in a local
bar getting s#&t faced drunk. He disappeared real quick.

Up until then, everybody liked the guy...
Old 06-17-2019, 03:14 PM

We loved our chaplain during Desert Storm. He came back to the US about half way through our tour. When he returned to the desert, he had about 100 or so miniature bottles of various liquors hidden in his duffle bag, that we all greatly appreciated. Not sure how he squared that with the man up above, but he was the most popular officer among our battalion staff.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:37 PM

9 chaplin have received the MOH, Both by brothers were Viet vets. A marine friend saw this one perish. Knew him, great chaplin and courageous! Vincent Robert Capodanno