Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2014, 08:28 PM

Default Were there actually 1903 Sporters?

Saw this on Armslist. Did Springfield actually make a Sporter?

http://www.armslist.com/posts/332837...sporter---rare

This is not a "Sporterized" it's a "SPORTER".
This means it came from The factory as you see it. These are very rare guns and range from 3500-8500 depending on condition and options. If you are looking for an "Premiere Collector's Firearm" then by all means send me a message.

Springfield Sporter in excellent condition. Has a Lyman scope. These rifles are very rare and hard to find. Manufactured 10-1925
Old 08-16-2014, 09:03 PM

There is such a rifle.I believe they sold through the NRA in the 20"s.They were not drilled for scope mounts as far as I have heard.Lyman iron sight only.The collectors value is limited with the drilled receiver.If you want one keep looking they do come up for sale.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:30 PM

The Springfield Armory made 4,946 Model 1903 rifles that were designed for civilian use and sold to NRA members through the DCM between 1924 and 1932. They were built with star-gauged barrels, polished bolts serial-numbered to the rifles, and they had a unique stock, buttplate, and lower band. They were fitted with Lyman rear sights instead of the usual 1903 ladder sight. An additional 589 "N.B." sporters were made with a slightly different stock.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:22 AM

Thanks much for the information.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:22 AM

You do have to educate yourself - there are a number of sporterized M1903s that get routinely advertised as "NRA Sporters" on auction and gun sales websites.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:25 AM

As Milsurp and Rick say. I can add no more to their experience and knowledge.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

The scope screws make me suspicious, but it could be an original someone tweaked later. $4000? Nah, the screw holes ruin it as a collector even if it is original. Someone probably has a list of serial numbers for the authentic sporters.

I have a clone of a NRA sporter. I knew it was a clone when I bought it for $300 a few years ago. It has the correct Lyman sight. It shoots great, and I don't have to worry about ruining an original collector.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 08-17-2014, 10:32 AM

I don't think its that uncommon for NRA Sporters to be driiled and tapped for old style Unertl type scopes. There should be corresponding holes on the barrel for the front scope blocks. Some of Brophy's materials depict NRA Sporters set up in this fashion.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:05 PM

I have a very nice one with the correct double aperture Lyman, electro-penciled bolt and star gauged barrel--serial is 1,406,xxx. The stock is nicely checkered and buttplate and grip cap were probably added--no scope base D&T. I bought the rifle recently at an auction for $225. This is a bit unusual, but the knowledge of those buying and selling at auctions should never be taken for granted. Good Shooting.....
Old 08-17-2014, 04:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
I have a very nice one with the correct double aperture Lyman, electro-penciled bolt and star gauged barrel--serial is 1,406,xxx. The stock is nicely checkered and buttplate and grip cap were probably added--no scope base D&T. I bought the rifle recently at an auction for $225. This is a bit unusual, but the knowledge of those buying and selling at auctions should never be taken for granted. Good Shooting.....
Good for you! First good auction deal I've heard about in a while!
ACEP-certified coach