Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 PM

At this point, I've seen what "correct" parts would cost me so I decided right away to make it all inland. a. I save a bunch of money on the correct parts, and b. should I ever sell it, I should do well on it somply being all inland. About the only think I haven't gotten is an Inland barrel. The other parts I have left over I can either keep as spares or sell outright. The IBM High wood will fetch a nice price for sure. I should be able to recoup most of my expendature selling off the replaced parts.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 AM

Then, I say, go for it, but buy the Riesch book and get the correct Inland parts for your carbine. It's one thing to put all inland parts in your carbine, but it's quite another to correctly aquire the correct Type I parts. Remember, your carbine was unique to the first 100,000 units built, as far as certain parts go. This site is a great place to start finding and swapping out parts.

Beware, it's addictive
Old 02-22-2011, 01:06 PM

"It's Addictive"

Don't I know it!!! I've learned more about Carbines in the past week and a half than I ever thought I knew... I've been extensively researching the Carbine in general, Inlands specifically ever since. Picked up a low wood IO stock for a hundred but still on the lookout for a highwood IO... I've got a high wood Lumb Woodworks (LW-B) marked IBM stock with a Quality Hardware (Q-RMC) upper handguard for trade.

Not sure I want to collect a bunch of them, but making this one all Inland is a worthy project.

Wayne
Old 02-22-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Not sure I want to collect a bunch of them, ...
Oh we've heard that before. You'll probably want to read Ruth's War Baby (vol 1) then to research parts which would have been found on your "Inland" before buying. Riesch is OK but not too reliable.

Good luck

Old 02-22-2011, 03:11 PM

I've researched around the net for markings, and found a few places that give the markings and the names of the companies that made them but the list is by no means complete... The commono sense side of me says just research the inland parts... The OCD side of me is like, "Just inland parts? What? There are lots of people out there who need the results of your research on ALL the Carbine Markings!"

Guess which side is winning out? >.<

I have a few pages of my journal where I am identifying the markings and the carbines they were originally found on. The list is and will be by no means complete, but it helps to know the information is being correlated into one list.

Wayne
Old 02-22-2011, 03:24 PM

Well I think both ways, restore it or leave it alone. If you restore it, you will fall in love with it even more. I restored plenty of them in the past, but of course parts were cheaper back then. Be very picky in the parts, I still have not found the correct (what I really want) double bevel trigger housing. They seem to be all refinished or have double slam marks on the housing from dogleg and later type hammers.
The I cut stock with the flaming bomb, and flaming bomb marked hand guard is what I was the pickiest about.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhead View Post
Be very picky in the parts, I still have not found the correct (what I really want) double bevel trigger housing. They seem to be all refinished or have double slam marks on the housing from dogleg and later type hammers.
I'm restoring several early Inlands to "correct" condition (they can never be "original" again), and your comments are right on target. The one thing I "might" question is the double slam marks. It is quite possible, especially back in the 60's, for someone with an "original" carbine to shoot it. The collector value back then was nothing compared to now. Suppose, to lighten the trigger pull, they put in a straight backed hammer and 26 1/2 coil spring. After they retired the gun from shooting, they put the dog leg hammer and 22 coil spring back in. To me, it's still an original carbine. But, in today's collector market, it might make the "original" story harder to believe. Just a thought.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26ster View Post
I'm restoring several early Inlands to "correct" condition (they can never be "original" again), and your comments are right on target. The one thing I "might" question is the double slam marks. It is quite possible, especially back in the 60's, for someone with an "original" carbine to shoot it. The collector value back then was nothing compared to now. Suppose, to lighten the trigger pull, they put in a straight backed hammer and 26 1/2 coil spring. After they retired the gun from shooting, they put the dog leg hammer and 22 coil spring back in. To me, it's still an original carbine. But, in today's collector market, it might make the "original" story harder to believe. Just a thought.
You are very correct on the hammer slam marks, its hard telling what was done to a housing, switched parts, added etc, the list can go on and on. And the same goes with 22 coil springs. I like what you said at the end, it is an original Carbine no matter how you look at it, correct from the factory, or a rebuild.
I look at them for them, no matter what. Some makers I know alot about, some I don't. I let them tell the story of their life, no need for me to do it.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 PM

I have a question,
My stock is marked IO with the "flaming bomb", but my forearm is marked LA with the "flaming bomb". My Inland is S/N# 6707. The stock is a "I" cut highwood.

Are the IO and LA marking mixed?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HkPlinker View Post
I have a question,
My stock is marked IO with the "flaming bomb", but my forearm is marked LA with the "flaming bomb". My Inland is S/N# 6707. The stock is a "I" cut highwood.

Are the IO and LA marking mixed?
War Baby lists an early I cut stock with LA in the sling cut, but not the handguard. I can't find an early handguard marked LA, but others much more knowledgeable should be along to answer.

Tags
carbine, inland, manufacturer markings