Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 11:05 PM

Default Cmp m1 garand jamming

I purchased a Springfield armory cmp rebuild m1 garand. Around the third shot the gun is trying to prematurely eject the clip thus jamming the rifle sometimes even on other shots I've done some research and I think it needs a new clip latch spring but I am still seeking further advice. Thanks
Old 09-02-2011, 11:17 PM

Yup. I'd start with that first. You can order a new spring from Numrich or elsewhere. Someone here with an extra may even send you one. In the interim, you can take a spring from a ballpoint or a similar small spring and trim it to just over the length of your clip latch spring and use it. Try reassembling the clip latch assy with the new little spring inside the clip latch spring. Also look inside the stock (it may have been replaced) to see if the back of the clip latch is being interfered with. You might need to shave s tiny bit of wood for proper clearance. Could be something else a little more complicated but we'll save that for downrange. Try these first.

Gunny
Old 09-02-2011, 11:19 PM

Before you go changing parts, make sure you don't have the SF clips. I've had nothing but trouble with premature ejection on SF clips. It is easy and free to try other non SF clips.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 PM

Alright will do
Old 09-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Banned

Nanook, my son. Call the nice people at the CMP's customer service. They're not happy until you are. http://www.odcmp.com/Comm/Contact_Us.htm
Old 09-03-2011, 12:13 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook of the north View Post
I purchased a Springfield armory cmp rebuild m1 garand. Around the third shot the gun is trying to prematurely eject the clip thus jamming the rifle sometimes even on other shots I've done some research and I think it needs a new clip latch spring but I am still seeking further advice. Thanks
Write CMP Customer Service before you start spending money on parts. They will either send you the parts you need or have you send the rifle back (they pay for shipping), expedite repairs and send it back to you. You could thrash around taking everyone's suggestions and spend a bunch of money on unneeded parts and still have the problem. Especially on the CMP Specials, they will get it right the first time.

Larry
Old 09-03-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Write CMP Customer Service before you start spending money on parts. They will either send you the parts you need or have you send the rifle back (they pay for shipping), expedite repairs and send it back to you. You could thrash around taking everyone's suggestions and spend a bunch of money on unneeded parts and still have the problem. Especially on the CMP Specials, they will get it right the first time.

Larry
True, true, and it is the simplest of all....

Gunny
Old 09-03-2011, 12:24 AM

Thank you for all of the support
Old 09-03-2011, 05:28 AM

i would try the $2.00 spring before you waste money shipping it back and forth regardless of who actually pays the bill.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

You can try stretching the clip latch spring. If the spring is the problem, this will be a temporary fix.
ACEP-certified coach

Tags
cmp, garand, jamming, rifle