Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Default Which receivers for my M1A parts kits?

I read lots of conflicting information about the different manufacturers of the receivers... I am not trying to name call any manufacturer, but I would like to buy a high quality USGI compatible receiver. I have read a lot of opinions, but some seem to conflict, particularly the Fulton-LRB feuding on some forums.

I would like to avoid any feuding, but facts are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a summary of what I've read on various forums, including this one.

LRB is supposedly the "best" as they are forged and their M25 integral rail is very cool, appears better than the Brookfield mount and knockoffs.

Fulton has the best website, but actually uses their own Armscorp Receivers, but they have a "CMP" deal.

7.62mm I have read little about, also has a "CMP" deal.

SAI (Springfield Armory Inc.) Receivers are impossible to find, and expensive, and supposedly not .mil spec.

Norinco/Poly - Haven't run across one, but supposedly they are good receivers if checked out.

Smith - Expensive, haven't read anything about them. Smith seems to have an excellent reputation though on the rest of their parts.

I am currently leaning toward an LRB M25 barreled action, based off the fact that I like the integral rail and there are no horror stories about LRB. Fulton is a close second, but I have nothing against Fulton's Armscorp receivers. So, what do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Spend some time looking through the posts on www.m14forum.com for more discussions and help choosing.
If you are interested in a new SAI receiver, they aren't impossible to find, just call Champion's Choice, or go to www.champchoice.com they have them in stock.
Just in case you are wondering, I went with a rear-lugged LRB for a full super-match type build, Mcmillan stock, etc... ( I already have a Poly with mostly GI parts and an SAI Loaded upgraded to NM specs.)
Good luck!
Mike B
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM

I have a Springfield Inc super match. I also purchased a CMP kit and sent my barrel and bolt to Fulton. Their receiver looks very good to me. I wanted to just make an as close to issue M1A/M14 as I could. Fulton runs sales on most holidays. Come Memorial Day I would expect them to have a 10% off sale which puts them $ ahead of the others. Everything I have heard from other friends about Fulton receivers was very positive. If you read their website they give a primer on the various types of receiver manufacturing which is somewhat useful. Hopefully more truth than advertising but you never know. It made sense to me. Fulton/SA Inc/ and LRB have been doing this for a long time and most people feel the bugs have been worked out. The 7.62mm ones seem to have a bit of a problem history associated to them and they are fairly new, so I would expect they have some tweeking left to do.

Just my .02 for whatever its worth.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:03 PM

Im going with a Fulton BR with a medium weight barrel for my build. I have heard nothing but positive about them and the debate about cast vs forged is beaten like an old dead horse. Some of the strongest components are cast and besides, the abuse you put on your rifle in a lifetime wont do harm to a well-maintained cast rifle. The Fulton BR is also less than and LRB reciever alone, so from a budget standpoint only, Fulton may be the way to go.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet6 View Post
Spend some time looking through the posts on www.m14forum.com for more discussions and help choosing.
+1. That is good advice. You can read other people's experience with different vendors.

I decided to have Ted Brown build my kit and this is what he says:

Quote:
A word about what we don't do at Shooters Den:

We do not work on Chinese M14 rifles, Norinco or Polytech. We do not work on 7.62MM Firearms, Entreprise Arms , Federal Ordnance, or older Armscorp M14 receivers. We get many requests for work on these rifles, but we found most of them are so far out of spec that they present too many problems.

http://www.tedbrownrifles.com/availableservices.html

The new production LRB Arms M14SA receivers are the best commercially produced receivers we have seen to date. They are as close to military specifications as can be made and the hot hammer forging process results in the strongest receiver available. These will truely last a lifetime and then some!

http://www.tedbrownrifles.com/pricelist.html
He used a LRB receiver for my build.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp Collector View Post
+1. That is good advice. You can read other people's experience with different vendors.

I decided to have Ted Brown build my kit and this is what he says:

He used a LRB receiver for my build.

What is the $$$ range of this investment?

QS
Old 03-29-2012, 05:10 PM

1600-3000 depending on receiver and barrel combo
Old 03-29-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
What is the $$$ range of this investment?

QS
CMP A kit: $600
Bolt: $250
Barrel: $250
Receiver: $965
Assembly: $225

Optional
Collector grade stock: $239
Sparrowhawk dummy selector kit: $70
Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 PM

I went with LRB ,Crietrion barrell and Winchester bolt and USGI parts kit 1,500 rnds later no problems and shoots way more accurate than I can.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 PM

I'm looking to put together a build with all marked USGI parts from HRA including the bolt, barrel, and stock; not sure yet which commercial receiver I'll go with. I'd like to do the same again with a SA or Winchester build, but those parts may not be as attainable or as comparatively "inexpensive."

Tags
grade "a", m14, m1a, parts kit, receiver