Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 PM

I built one M1A using a Fulton Armory receiver, bolt and barrel. Beautiful to look at and a very acurate rifle. I sent them my most recent A kit for them to attach a GI barrel and bolt to their receiver. Should get it back any day. Great products, easy to work with staff and reasonable pricing. I will use them again on my next build.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 PM

I just did a build with an LRB M14SA receiver, 100% Winchester parts, via a CMP M14 parts kit. I received an ALL Winchester kit, in practically brand new shape. Guys at LRB did my barrel install and bolt lapping. Great job. It's even better that they are a 20 minute drive from where I live. A bit expensive, no CMP deal.

My other build is off of a receiver from a brand new SAI Scout purchase. Stripped it and sold all the parts but the receiver. I have a Winchester USGI barrel/bolt on this too, but all the other parts are SA, via a CMP M14 Parts kit. Tim Shufflin twisted the barrel on for me, but I did bolt lapping.

I got to tell you, Not one issue fitting any parts to the SAI, outside of the bolt stop spacing being a tiny bit too wide. Also, the finish on the SAI receiver is bar none, beautiful. That greenish park color that matches the usgi parts very well.

The LRB is black manganese park. Unlike the SAI, it's forged. The detail on the machining is excellent, as compared to the SAI, which is ok. For instance, the op rod channel, bolt channels, keys, mount holes. Perfect. With the SAI, the mount hole was a bit out of spec, and the machining, such as the receiver bridge, a bit rough, machining marks, slight burrs, but in spec. Once again, the LRB machining is PERFECT, crisp and clean. My only issue with the LRB is a tight trigger group spline.

I haven't fired the LRB yet, but will this weekend.

The LRB receiver is over $800. I think the SAI is around $600.

I hope this helps you. If you have the money, but the LRB. If not, the an SAI is suitable and you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by TokiWartooth; 03-29-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:50 PM

I am building my second M14 and I will be going with Fulton receiver.

My first one was a 7.62mm receiver.

http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/a...ent=M14001.jpg

I am going with Fulton to try a different building experience. Now don't get me wrong my 7.62 barreled receiver shoots well enough for me and I like it.
The head space on the rifle is 1.638" close to Nato NO go, but still within specs. I tried 4 different bolts to get the head space to tighten up; two used TRW and one brand new still wrap TRW and one Chinese bolt. All of them would not seat properly on the receiver left lug 10 - 15 thousands gap between the left bolt lug and receiver lug seat. However the Winchester bolt that came with rifle works and fits perfect.

I reload so I wanted the chamber to be tighter to extend brass life.

Last edited by GooseHunter; 03-30-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:42 PM

I went with 7.62MM as they have a forged receiver unlike many of the others on the market and the CMP assembly pricing. Went on a TRW barrel & CMP kit. Very satisfied with the results.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 PM

I do really appreciate the fact that the 7.62 receivers are forged, and they have a good warranty... Can't say the same for LRB. In all honesty, a (very restrictive) year is nothing if you are just covering defects in materials and workmanship.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 AM

I also went with a 7.62MM forged receiver. Fit and finish on mine is excellent. It is my new favorite to shoot rifle.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:43 AM

I'm torn between a Fulton receiver when they go on sale, or waiting for the National Matches, when SA, Inc usually sells factory blemished receivers for about the same price.

I got lucky with an HRA bolt for $80 and an SA, Inc barrel for $75, so I should be able to get mine built for under $1200, although I'd like to "upgrade" the SA, Inc barrel to USGI.

I had a thought, recently...why doesn't HRA, who are still in business, license their name on M1A receivers...I'd think they'd do a brisk business to people who want a "genuine" M14; sorta like SA, Inc, but it would actually be the same company, not a similarly named commercial venture.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post
I had a thought, recently...why doesn't HRA, who are still in business, license their name on M1A receivers...I'd think they'd do a brisk business to people who want a "genuine" M14; sorta like SA, Inc, but it would actually be the same company, not a similarly named commercial venture.
H&R 1871, Inc. is just as much a similarly named commercial venture as Springfield Armory, Inc. Neither is the original entity.

Quote:
In the 1960s H&R was acquired by the Rowe family, and warranty cards were sent to 'Industrial Rowe', Gardner, Massachusetts. The original H&R company went out of business in 1986, and the building was demolished.

A new company, H&R 1871, Inc., was formed in 1991 and started production of revolvers, single shot rifles and shotguns using original H&R designs. H&R 1871, Inc. assets were subsequently sold to H&R 1871, LLC., a Connecticut LLC owned by Marlin Firearms Company in November 2000. H&R 1871, LLC. did not extend their product warranty to H&R guns made prior to the LLC's takeover.

Marlin, including all its H&R assets, was later acquired by Remington Arms Company in December, 2007. H&R 1871, LLC production was moved to Ilion, N.Y. (the site of Remington's original manufacturing plant) in late 2008, while their corporate offices are co-located with Remington Arms in Madison, N.C. (HR1871.com and Remington.com). Remington, along with its Marlin and H&R subsidiaries, are now part of the Freedom Group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrington_%26_Richardson
Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebluecuda View Post
I do really appreciate the fact that the 7.62 receivers are forged, and they have a good warranty... Can't say the same for LRB. In all honesty, a (very restrictive) year is nothing if you are just covering defects in materials and workmanship.
Really? If you go onto m14forum.com, quite a few unhappy 7.62mm owners. Bad builds, out of spec receivers. I am a believer in you do not get quality for free. I would rather pay $200 for a focused build than a free slap together.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:20 AM

yeah, after reading that some armorers wont work on LRB due to the warranty, that one year matters to me. Lrb makes a good product, though they have had issues just like everybody else. I do think their M25 rail is nice though.

Several of the "gun professionals" on m14forum said that 7.62MM receivers were excellent. I wouldnt be having 7.62 build the gun.

Tags
grade "a", m14, m1a, parts kit, receiver