Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 07:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer03 View Post
I never knew that it was only a small portion of the low number rifles that actually had a problem. It would seem that alot of good rifles are hanging on walls instead of being shot just because they are guilty by association. Why wouldnt it be acceptable to proof ones rifle with a homemade "blue pill"? Build about 10% excess pressure into a reload and give it the old tire fire. It would seem that some shooters would be glad to find an old war horse shootable and willing to risk the wall decoration to find out.
Sure. Just make sure your health insurance covers plastic surgery.

How do you build in about 10% excess pressure without a pressure gun?
ACEP-certified coach
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 PM

Firing any rifle with a high pressure test round is hardly a test of the receiver. The real test comes with a gas leak or catastrophic case failure and determining exactly how the receiver fails. You can't properly test a receiver with just high pressure rounds. If you have lots of time and money and know what you're doing; maybe. Next best is to read PO Ackley's books. Good Shooting......
Old 02-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Default you can't? it isn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Firing any rifle with a high pressure test round is hardly a test of the receiver. You can't properly test a receiver with just high pressure rounds. ...
hmm, I wonder what the United STates Government did to "test receivers" for 100+ years? I wonder what this "P" proof means?

I could have sworn it meant the rifle had been TESTED with an M1HPT HIGH PRESSURE TEST round.. oh well, what do I know..

Old 02-25-2010, 09:08 AM

Read my post again--you conveniently left out a sentence in your quote and chose to miss the point. The goverment test fired all those low numbered 1903s and later destroyed most of the receivers. Good Shooting......

Last edited by ceresco; 02-25-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
and later destroyed most of the receivers. Good Shooting......
I'm not aware of any widespread/programmed post WWI destruction of LN receivers?

My best recollection is that the Army decicded to place most in "War Reserve" status and USMC did (some) depot maintenance via Hathcer Holes (and no rifle grenade use) but otherwise kept on shooting the living heck out of the things.

Last edited by HughUno; 02-25-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:31 PM

Gosh Hugh, where have you been all these years?? From the 1928 issue of Army Ordinance Magazine--"All Springfield Armory receivers with numbers under 800,000 and Rock Island receivers under 285,507 are removed from the barrels and scrapped. By Lieut. J.E. McInerney, Ord. Depart., U.S.A." Good Shooting.......
Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Gosh Hugh, where have you been all these years?? From the 1928 issue of Army Ordinance Magazine--"All Springfield Armory receivers with numbers under 800,000 and Rock Island receivers under 285,507 are removed from the barrels and scrapped. By Lieut. J.E. McInerney, Ord. Depart., U.S.A." Good Shooting.......
well, in 1928, after hearing the recommendation of Julian Hatcher and others on the Ordinance Board, the Chief of Field Service, BG Huf said "that such rifles be set aside and considered as WAR RESERVE." Thus, as a result MOST of these rifles were NOT destroyed, they were USED AGAIN in WWII. Hatcher's Notebook, P223.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM

The U.S. Government test fired and proofed over a million low numbered 1903s before determining (obviously not from the test firing) that the receivers were unsafe and scrapped them as they came in for rebuild and then stopped doing so, only when war was imminent. Clearly the "blue pill" did not detect the problems with those receivers. I do not know now many were destroyed but the article states overhauling 2,500 rifles per month was tha capacity at that facility. The intent was to scrap the low number receivers and that intent was not based on the "blue pill" --that was my point. Good Shooting....
Old 02-25-2010, 11:29 PM

The "to shoot or not to shoot" low number 1903's debate has been going on forever. I have often wondered why you never hear of " don't shoot the M1892 Krag-Jorensen rifle". The Krag was the U.S. service rifle before the 1903. It was made by the same Springfield Armory as the 1903 was and was a single heat treat forging just like the low numbered 1903's....all the same methods but you never hear of a blow up on them. I think it's because the Krag's shoot a milder round...the 30-40 Krag. You must keep in mind that the 30-06 round was new and hot when compared to the old black powder 30-40 Krag.....something to think about.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:24 PM

while the 30-40 was a much lower pressure round than the 30-06 it was never a blackpowder round

Tags
failure, m1903, receiver, springfield