Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 AM

Don't forget, this exploding reciever phenomenon began with the advent of the "06" cartridge. Almost everyone who has looked into this issue has identified the cartridge as a key causal factor. When you examine the root cause of an incident you will normally conclude several causal factors. In this case:

Heat treatment was not done per regulation and was left to a craftsmans own judgement.

The 30-06 was a NEW centerfire round, and had potential issues with galvanic action, new manufacture, etc.

Several incidents where the result of wrong caliber ammo used, barrel failures or bore plugging.

Again, the one constant causal factor or more commom factor appears to do with comments surrounding poorly manufactured/incompatable/compromised ammo/bore plugging.

And that be the case, and considering I have not found anything compelling on SA or RIA LN recievers exploding post war, I think your taking as much a chance shooting one of these as you are with any weapon (specifically old abused/battle worn milisurp weapons).

I think the odds are compairable or higher that you or I could be in a car crash, on our way to the range, or be shot by a reckless shooter at the range.

I will inspect my firearm/ammo, wear my PPE and shoot my LN 1903 and assume responsibility for my actions. I will stop when some new/compelling evidence indicates these are truely more dangerous to shoot than any other milisurp weapon for one reason or another.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:01 PM

This string has got to end. Let me add this small data. "Heat treat" was done per regulations. It was the Forge Shop that eyeballed the molten steel. They did not follow regualtions and did not use pryometers as required. They over-heated the Class C steel on a daily basis. This "technique" went on for year (1903-1918) and no one questioned the following or non-following of regulations. This fact is often over-looked in this discussion. Regulations are written for a reason, but it takes people to follow them.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:58 AM

FWIW, One of the causes I have heard of the Springfields coming apart during WW I was the sometime practice of soldiers and Marines using captured German 8mm (7.92mm) ammo in them. Obviously this would put a lot of abnormal stress on the reciever and barrel. If it was not quite as strong as it should have been to start with, it is understandable how this would tend to cause a failure. This is not to imply this was the only cause of the failures, but surely accounted for some. Mine is a high number Springfield so I am not affected by this. If I had a low numbered one, I would be very reluctant to shoot it. I have come to realize that I have fewer years ahead of me than I do behind me, so I am starting to protect what I have left. Ain't 10 foot tall and bulletproof anymore.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:41 AM

Default 03 receivers

http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

Here is some info
read the tables
Old 04-24-2010, 07:40 AM

Dr. Lyon's research, while interesting, has some flaws in it.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
Dr. Lyon's research, while interesting, has some flaws in it.

LOL Yes,like how to determine when the one your shooting is the 0.7% in 100,000 one.

The shoot or not shoot LN M1903 rifles question is one I would call a conundrum.

Websters Dictionary: conundrum- A question or problem having only a conjectural answer.

Last edited by KRAG-30-40; 04-24-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:20 PM

Default 03 Receivers

The truth of the matter is
You can only blow off your head once

Tags
failure, m1903, receiver, springfield