Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliabilityman View Post
That would be my plan. I have read on here that it is sacrilegious to try to do this with any halfway nice 1903. So I started looking at sporters and found this one. Havent pulled the trigger on buying it yet of course but wanted to see others opinons as the folks on here have provided good advice in the past.
I don't fault you for not wanting to butcher an otherwise unmessed with 1903. Much depends on the condition of the barrel and whether or not the existing holes can be used.

My outlook might also be jaded by several great deals that I've gotten on sported 1903 and 03A3's over the years. Two years ago I got a high number Rock Island 1903 with a great barrel, a C stock, and which already had the Unertl scope blocks mounted for not much more than what you are looking at here.

My plan is the same as yours...CMP vintage sniper rifle. Good deals are out there.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:12 AM

The fact that it's been blued would steer me away from it. You may not get the finish you want when parked.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:36 AM

Default I did the same thing

I found a "Sporterized" high number Rock Island with a Sedgley USMC barrel for $200 and re-vitalized it as a USMC 1941 sniper. It came out pretty good, however the mounting holes in the receiver were not centered so the scope has to be adjusted way to the right to get in the bull. Mine was still parkerized so I didn't need to re-finish the metal. It was a fun project, well worth the time and money, and I won't be going to hades for destroying a pristine 1903.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:40 AM

The scope bases can be easily adjusted using aluminum cut from a pop can. Fold it to 3 layers, loosen the screws and slip the shim under one side. It won't break down or loosen up. I like the scope in the center of the adjustment window and virtually all the 1941s need a slight adjustment to accomplish this. Good Shooting.....
Old 10-07-2014, 12:07 PM

Thanks. I'll have to try it after the western games. See you there.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcratebuilder View Post
The fact that it's been blued would steer me away from it. You may not get the finish you want when parked.
Taking that off is easy.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
I don't fault you for not wanting to butcher an otherwise unmessed with 1903. Much depends on the condition of the barrel and whether or not the existing holes can be used.

My outlook might also be jaded by several great deals that I've gotten on sported 1903 and 03A3's over the years. Two years ago I got a high number Rock Island 1903 with a great barrel, a C stock, and which already had the Unertl scope blocks mounted for not much more than what you are looking at here.

My plan is the same as yours...CMP vintage sniper rifle. Good deals are out there.
Yeah Im not that lucky and in the past 2 years the prices have really gone up on everything related to firearms. Nice rifle though consider yourself lucky to get that one. This one has been sitting there for a while. Not many people in the area are interested in the old rifles since they are not "AR-somethings etc"
Old 10-08-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliabilityman View Post
Yeah Im not that lucky and in the past 2 years the prices have really gone up on everything related to firearms. Nice rifle though consider yourself lucky to get that one. This one has been sitting there for a while. Not many people in the area are interested in the old rifles since they are not "AR-somethings etc"

It is not always about luck...patience is a virtue in getting a good deal.