Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2015, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22shooter View Post
This thread has unfortunately devolved into another classic "9mm vs .45" conversation which was never the intent. I dont really have any further interest

Bill
A lot of people spent time giving you good responses to your post. I asked you some questions to clarify you original (vague) post. Forgive us for responding to a post you apparently didn't care about.

Sorry you don't have any interest. Sorry we wasted our time sharing our thoughts with you.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:53 AM

+1 on the Persian Mauser. I have shot 1"groups several times at 100yds with 70's yugo ammo. Usually average around 1.5 with my old eyes. They are gorgeous rifles.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout706 View Post
I am one of them. The P17, the K31. . . not so much.
The British P13 and P14 and the M1917 are clear Mauser derivatives.

Forward Locking lugs
Extractor
Magazine
Charger loading
One piece stock

There are other features but the P13 represented a real sea change from the earlier Enfield designs. The untimely arrival of WW1 made a change of rifle and ammunition inadvisable.

Last edited by jgaynor; 11-07-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22shooter View Post
This thread has unfortunately devolved into another classic "9mm vs .45" conversation which was never the intent. I dont really have any further interest

Bill
I think there was a lot of lighthearted banter but also some good info. Today, "best"'is a matter of the shooter's preference when dealing with obsolete service rifles

-Eugene B. Sledge
Old 11-08-2015, 08:23 AM

There are three Mausers that I would love to have back again and would call my favorites.

First was a 1895 Peruvian short rifle in 7x57mm.Extremely smooth action and quite accurate.Just one of those times when you buy a rifle off a rack and it turns out to be fantastic.

Second was a Spanish 1916 in 7.62 mm. Those are just cool little rifles.

Third and most accurate was a FN Contract Isreali K 98 in 7.62 NATO .It was not a pretty rifle but that made no difference.

It was a Spanish M 1916 was what got me started with milsurps over 40 years ago.

I've shot many Mausers over the years including M 96's , M 38's , GEW 98 , K 98 K's as well as the US 1903 and A3 which are copies of the Mauser and even a japanese type 38.

Last edited by Mississippi Kid; 11-08-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deppizzymo View Post
Believe it or not I really like the look of the FR8. I have never had the pleasure (or displeasure from the recoil?) of shooting one. Short, handy and complete with a peep sight. The only thing missing is a bent bolt handle.
That's my favorite one too. Best???? I don't know, that's highly subjective, but it sure is a neat rifle. I regret not buying one a while back when my buddy did. We have sent a lot of lead down range with that thing, and it is a fun gun to shoot. Now I rarely see them, and when I do, they are $500+...............and my buddy won't part with his.........some friend huh LOL.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:04 AM

The Mexican short 98 action in .22-250 with a 10x Weaver is hard to beat. It works well in .243 also.
I have a Spanish 1916 in 7.62 but reload for it. I wouldn't shoot NATO loads in it. It shoots ok.
I have two Israeli 98k's in 7.62 and they are fun to shoot. They are 4" at 100 yards at best with ball ammo. Both are well used.
My favorite is a 1940 "660" K98k in mint condition. It is beautiful with finely polished and blued parts. All numbers match. Even the screws are numbered with the last two digits on the serial number. I got it from the guy whose father brought it home after WW2.
The P14 and M1917 show definite lineage from Mauser. Both are workhorse rifles and not as refined or as attractive as the Mauser. They shoot well tho.
A gunsmith who taught me a lot years ago loved working with Mausers but thought little of M1903s. His opinion was the Army took the worst features of the Mauser and built a rifle around them. I like shooting my 03A3 but at my age the front sight is a little too narrow. I sold the M1903 years ago but shot it with some success at 1000 yards (25 years ago, before I needed glasses). It's sights were much better than the Mauser's.

Last edited by CNCprogrammer; 11-14-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:09 AM

Default I think...

that at one point or another, I've owned all of the rifles mentioned, with the exception of John Beard's Type 99 Jap.
My favorite, which also makes it the 'best' in MY eyes, is the 'pre-war' Czech VZ33 "small ring 98". Mine is one from the finance ministry, with the best bore I've seen on ANY 98.
Short, light, and mine is the 'best' shooting 8X57 I've encountered! Have to admit, though, that mine now wears an M8 4X Leupold in Redfield rings and bases, with modified bolt handle, but otherwise, still 'original'.
The very BEST Mausers, though, are those beautiful FN's, 'banner' Mausers, and all the other commercial types that the gunsmiths and factories put together into sporting rifles in the early 20th century.