Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Yeah....... sure if the committee wants to look at the slings (or whatever is on their schedule) they will.
But you've been on this forum long enough and it sounds as though you are involved enough to know the following:

-The "Ask the CMP" is not about getting any sort of direct answer from or a direct line to "the powers that be."
Gewehr, Yep, I've been around long enough to remember when this part of the Forum was entitled "Ask Orest" and there were often answers to questions. I know things have changed but I keep hoping for a little bit of the past to return in this regard. If the CMP does not intends on answering questions, there should just be the "Ask Each Other" sub-forum.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:26 PM

JH, I actually own all three sling types that have been mentioned. For sure the M1907 is the best for competitive service rifle shooting. That being said, if the Vickers combat sling were allowed, I'd probably experiment with it to see if I could make it work well for this application. I do think it might work if the forward loop was a little longer. No guarantees that this would be the case but the Vickers sling is my AR go to sling for most other applications and I'd like to make it work for this application also. One of the original reasons for service rifle competition was to assist in the development of weapons, ammo and accessories so these developments could be incorporated into the military issue items. It would be great if the Vickers combat sling could be readily used as a device to assist in precision shooting in the field. Rick

Last edited by rickgman; 06-25-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
JH, I actually own all three sling types that have been mentioned. For sure the M1907 is the best for competitive service rifle shooting. That being said, if the Vickers combat sling were allowed, I'd probably experiment with it to see if I could make it work well for this application. I do think it might work if the forward loop was a little longer. No guarantees that this would be the case but the Vickers sling is my AR go to sling for most other applications and I'd like to make it work for this application also. One of the original reasons for service rifle competition was to assist in the development of weapons, ammo and accessories so these developments could be incorporated into the military issue items. It would be great if the Vickers combat sling could be readily used as a device to assist in precision shooting in the field. Rick
I have all three too (M1 M1907 and the Vickers) but I'm not seeing it ................. but like you I'll play with it now that there has been such a stink.

But I'm not sure if it were to be approved if "our" use of it would drive the boat any more than the "tactical stuff" companies themselves.

Companies like Viking tactics etc have their followers and if they say their sling is great for precision use, that means more than "some guy" at Camp Perry............

Again I'm not seeing how that sling would be better than what we have now........... but then I also see shooters with optics in the marksman class.

The acessories are just that........... a sling or optic isn't going to make a great shooter..........that is still the nut behind the trigger.

Last edited by Gewehr43; 06-25-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:40 PM

SO Milprileb............

You're up........... write the letter and see what happens.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post

Again I'm not seeing how that sling would be better than what we have now.

The acessories are just that........... a sling or optic isn't going to make a great shooter..........that is still the nut behind the trigger.
I honestly don't think that that the Vickers combat sling will be any better than an M1907 sling. I suspect it will not be as good. However, if it is good enough, that would be great from my standpoint at least for use in the Modern Military Match. Rick
Old 06-26-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
I don't get it.
I don't either.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:19 PM
CMP Chief Operating Officer

The appeal has to be sent to the CMP Rules Committee for consideration to have the sling added to the "list" of acceptable slings in CMP Competition. Please forward your request to me at mjohnson@thecmp.org, and I will see that the Committee considers it.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:23 PM
CMP Chief Operating Officer

I cannot dedicate the time to the forum as Mr. Michaels did going on 3 years ago now... I will ask our volunteer moderators to send questions posed on the forum to me via email for response or to alert me to the question. I simply do not visit the forum often enough.