Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2018, 11:40 AM

Default 100th anniversary of the end of WWI

My 1918 Colt Model of 1911 is 100 years old, and on this historic anniversary of the end of WWI, I figure it's worth a photo.

The Colt isn't perfect. Good enough for me. The medal is a WWI Victory medal and the map is from the West Point Atlas of War: World War One. Brass WWI cleaning rod was a freebie from the widow of a WWII veteran who gave me a whole cookie tin of extra stuff when I bought the correct barrel for this Colt off of her, while she was cleaning out her late husbands' military things. Who knows where the vet got it.

Last edited by Chris_B; 11-11-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:45 AM

I have one that looks very similar to yours made in August 1918. I think it would be fitting to take her out today for some range time!! Salute to all veterans!!
Old 11-12-2018, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T38Carbine View Post
I have one that looks very similar to yours made in August 1918. I think it would be fitting to take her out today for some range time!! Salute to all veterans!!
Agree. Somewhat sad that we no longer have any living WW I vets to see the 100th Anniv. My grandfather was in France when the war ended.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:55 AM
Banned

One of the Oldest Colt i have ever seen, Let me know if you ever wanna sell it.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:00 PM

On 11/11/2018 , i went to an estate sale that included a WWI vets items . His name was Moffett and had been a surgeon in the Navy in WWI . His dress visor cap and framed commission papers were there. Also there was German infantry Mutz cap that was not listed on the auction . I made a hard set of bids but could'nt get any items . It was not lost on me on what day it was . I had to wonder where he got the German cap from ......
Old 11-13-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigswedez View Post
On 11/11/2018 , i went to an estate sale that included a WWI vets items . His name was Moffett and had been a surgeon in the Navy in WWI . His dress visor cap and framed commission papers were there. Also there was German infantry Mutz cap that was not listed on the auction . I made a hard set of bids but could'nt get any items . It was not lost on me on what day it was . I had to wonder where he got the German cap from ......
Perhaps from a German he was treating. My brother was an army surgeon during the first gulf war. Said he treated far more Iraqis than Americans. First thing he had to do was convince them that he wasn't just going to kill them.