Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2018, 09:56 AM

Really nice pistol and story. Would love to see photos. Just as reference, the following is listed on GB with 8 days to go the bid is over $9,500.

UNISSUED WWI COLT1911 U.S.45ACP MUSEUM QUALITY NR
STUNNING CONDITION! MFG 1917! 100%ORIGINAL!
Old 12-22-2018, 10:20 AM

Sure would like to see photos of pistol and documentation.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:48 AM

A photo of grandpa with the weapon, in France, even holstered, the transfer paperwork you mentioned and his combat history (there were no DD 214s in 1919) are the things that will add value and historical significance to this relic and give it value to any US history museum. This is a valuable weapon.
Give it to one of the children, but, if you think they will eventually flip it for a few bucks or will not appreciate it and care for it...... then get it appraised and talk to a museum about it. Then have your will leave it to the museum and give the estate the tax benefit and let other people look at it for years and admire grandpa's accomplishments.

Of course you can always contact me and I will take the old devil dog's weapon. Ha ha Semper Fi!!!
Old 12-22-2018, 12:55 PM

1911= non heat treated slides. Due to the many failures back then and early 1911a1 is the reason they started to spot heat treating them. I have a 1911a1 Ithaca slide that was treated and it sports a crack on the left side, opposite the ejection port. They are ALL prone to crack. I would not shoot it at all. Just my .02.
Tom
Old 12-22-2018, 05:43 PM

I own a 1914 Colt purchased from Scott Gahimer some 10 years ago. I have the Colt LOA and a LOA from Scott. I wouldn't fire this pistol for all the tea in China. These are transitional pistols and with your Gransfather's history/provenance consider it RARE! For heaven's sake don't shoot it you could likely damage a rare part. Pony up to Colt for one of these.