Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 11:13 AM

Default "as issued" 03A3 question

I have an 03A3 that i purchased from a friend. I paid around $350 for it. It has a sporter stock, which was bedded to the barrel, and Timney trigger with 2 pound trigger pull (definitely not CMP legal), and mounted Leupold 9x. It has an SA barrel, dated 1942, someone had removed the front sight. The butchers also removed the rear sight, but the mounting pad for it is still intact. It looks like extensive polishing work had been done to the bolt, it looks chrome (like it has been polished) and fresh blueing, and the bolt handle doesn't look original. All of the original safeties and the "on-off" lever on the bolt are still intact. It looks like the receiver had been re-blued, it doesn't have that nice original olive drab looking color, the whole thing just looks "pretty". If it wasn't for the "US Rifle, Cal. 30, 03A3" stuff on the receiver, (which some idiot drilled into) from a distance it doesn't really look like an 03. It breaks my heart that people do this to these rifles, but it is what it is. My question is, can i bring this rifle back into "as issued" service condition, or will it be a problem at CMP events? How technical are they on the "as issued" classification? I could easily buy a stock with the hardware, and find an original trigger group, and the sights, and plug the screw holes in the receiver. A friend of mine has an original 03 bolt, and of course it doesn't have a match barrel, it appears to be stock. The rifle is a good shooter, my step son took a deer with it in Georgia last year. But i would really like to turn it back into what it really should be, a bolt action military rifle, for shooting at CMP events. What do you guys think? I think i have a good platform to turn it back, i'm worried about the "prettiness" of the blued receiver and polished bolt.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:31 AM

By the time you buy a stock and all the other parts you will need you could buy a very nice one that is in original condition... jmho
Old 03-02-2012, 11:42 AM

Yeah, i considered that too. Hardware kits are around $90 from Sarco. Sights vary, around $30 each. Stocks vary like crazy. Gun show is in 2 weeks, maybe i'll get lucky out there. I know there is a guy that sets up a table with old military rifle parts. Would be neat to find a National Ordinance junker for cheap, and strip the GI parts off it.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:49 AM

Match director has lots of latitude; likely the smaller the club at which you are shooting, the more latitude the director has

I don't think color disqualifies from "as issued" so I would not be worried about the blued metal...

reasoning: If color was a problem, you could get hardnose director saying greek black rifles aren't allowed, b/c greek black is not an original USGI finish.

Or, pickier - I have a modern (blued) trigger guard screw b/c the original screw (parked) sheared from fatigue, sorry, it's not 'as issued'

That said:
In the course of building up the CMP bare receiver from earlier this year, heres some prices I've seen recently:

Stock: 100+
rear sight: 50
front sight band/post/pin: 25
trigger parts: 50
bolt sleeve: 15-20

Assuming you do not have any parts on hand, then you are looking at another 250, plus shipping costs, to 'make it right'

Then you have to figure out what to do with the old parts.

At that price point, may be more worthwhile to leave it as is, and shop around for a non-modified A3.

Last edited by aj98; 03-02-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2311 View Post
Yeah, i considered that too. Hardware kits are around $90 from Sarco. Sights vary, around $30 each. Stocks vary like crazy. Gun show is in 2 weeks, maybe i'll get lucky out there. I know there is a guy that sets up a table with old military rifle parts. Would be neat to find a National Ordinance junker for cheap, and strip the GI parts off it.
You could do that, However, you will still have a ReFinished rifle with holes drilled in the receiver... $650 should buy you a nice (not mint, but nice) original rifle to play with...
Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 PM

In this case, it sounds like a decent sporter job and an accurate rifle. Conversion would be a money pit to return to stock configuration. It does have possibilities as an A4 clone, however.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2311 View Post
I have an 03A3 that i purchased from a friend. I paid around $350 for it. It has a sporter stock, which was bedded to the barrel, and Timney trigger with 2 pound trigger pull (definitely not CMP legal), and mounted Leupold 9x. It has an SA barrel, dated 1942, someone had removed the front sight. The butchers also removed the rear sight, but the mounting pad for it is still intact. It looks like extensive polishing work had been done to the bolt, it looks chrome (like it has been polished) and fresh blueing, and the bolt handle doesn't look original. All of the original safeties and the "on-off" lever on the bolt are still intact. It looks like the receiver had been re-blued, it doesn't have that nice original olive drab looking color, the whole thing just looks "pretty". If it wasn't for the "US Rifle, Cal. 30, 03A3" stuff on the receiver, (which some idiot drilled into) from a distance it doesn't really look like an 03. It breaks my heart that people do this to these rifles, but it is what it is. My question is, can i bring this rifle back into "as issued" service condition, or will it be a problem at CMP events? How technical are they on the "as issued" classification? I could easily buy a stock with the hardware, and find an original trigger group, and the sights, and plug the screw holes in the receiver. A friend of mine has an original 03 bolt, and of course it doesn't have a match barrel, it appears to be stock. The rifle is a good shooter, my step son took a deer with it in Georgia last year. But i would really like to turn it back into what it really should be, a bolt action military rifle, for shooting at CMP events. What do you guys think? I think i have a good platform to turn it back, i'm worried about the "prettiness" of the blued receiver and polished bolt.
i would present it to your step son when you think its appropriate. it actually sounds like a fairly nice sporter and trying to restore them after that much work just doesn't pay.

Regards,
Jim