Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 10:51 PM

Default $19.95 1903

I bought this 1903 Springfield for $19.95 in 1969 from a local war surplus shop. I remember there were numerous 55 gal size cardboard barrels full of 1903's. Some were $19.95 and some were $29.95. I shot about 100 rounds through it over the next several years then heard about the possible receiver problems of the low serial number rifles and put it away. I forgot how nice it looked when I got it out the other day. Anyway, take a look and let me know if it is still in army issue/reissue configuration (it appears to have been rebuilt due to the barrel date). I assume the stock is not original but do not know if it is GI or civilian. The rest of the parts I have no clue about. Thanks, Homer

More pictures http://s843.photobucket.com/albums/z...dick1776/1903/
Old 11-03-2009, 11:29 PM

If you had 20 bucks extra in 1969 you were doing better than me !Nice rifle hard to believe they were ever that cheap,but they were.Do you remember the ads in the back of the American rifleman with pictures of the surplus rifles from all over the world,most under 20 bucks?
Old 11-04-2009, 12:19 AM

I miss those days! My Mk 4 Enfield came out of a similar barrel at Sears Roebucks for $10. It seems there was less crime on the streets prior to 1968 (gun control law) than after.....

I remember many a local gas stations, hardware stores, etc. that sold guns and ammo back in the day.

Nice rifle!
Old 11-04-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W.A. View Post
I miss those days! My Mk 4 Enfield came out of a similar barrel at Sears Roebucks for $10. It seems there was less crime on the streets prior to 1968 (gun control law) than after.....

I remember many a local gas stations, hardware stores, etc. that sold guns and ammo back in the day.

Nice rifle!
Neat rifle with a good story... not to be OT, but I remember my gramps telling me that when he was young they would buy dynamite at the grocery store and blow stumps out of the ground with it... amongst other interesting uses
Old 11-04-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdick1776 View Post
I bought this 1903 Springfield for $19.95 in 1969 from a local war surplus shop. I remember there were numerous 55 gal size cardboard barrels full of 1903's. Some were $19.95 and some were $29.95. I shot about 100 rounds through it over the next several years then heard about the possible receiver problems of the low serial number rifles and put it away. I forgot how nice it looked when I got it out the other day. Anyway, take a look and let me know if it is still in army issue/reissue configuration (it appears to have been rebuilt due to the barrel date). I assume the stock is not original but do not know if it is GI or civilian. The rest of the parts I have no clue about. Thanks, Homer
Thanks for the photos! Even though your rifle is a low number and is generally considered unsafe for shooting, you have a splendid rifle.

Your rifle's receiver was manufactured at Springfield Armory in 1908. The rifle was overhauled, re-barreled, refinished, and re-stocked during the latter part of WWII. The replacement barrel was manufactured by High Standard in July, 1944. High Standard barrels are generally regarded as being very accurate. The stock is a replacement scant stock manufactured by a spare parts contractor. Your rifle's bolt was manufactured from Nickel Steel at Rock Island Arsenal in late 1918 or early 1919.

Hope this helps. Thanks again for the photos.

J.B.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:59 AM

Thank you J.B. that is the type of info I was after. Last couple of questions. Does the butt plate look correct for the rifle? The rear sight is missing the knurled knob for the elevation adjustment, are they availble and where is a good source.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:25 PM

I'll give you triple what you paid for it. Great deal for you!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdick1776 View Post
Thank you J.B. that is the type of info I was after. Last couple of questions. Does the butt plate look correct for the rifle? The rear sight is missing the knurled knob for the elevation adjustment, are they availble and where is a good source.
The buttplate is a smooth milled buttplate and is contemporary with the rifle's serial number.

The missing screw is the Rear Sight Slide Binding Screw. In all likelihood, the screw is broken off and not missing. Removing a broken screw can be a real challenge. And I'm not aware of sources for a replacement. Your best bet might be to simply replace the entire rear sight.

Hope this helps.

J.B.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:44 PM

John B. is correct, the broken screws are a bear to get out. Here is a source for a replacement. The stock photo appears to be a reproduction but it is cheap at $2.15 each.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...11901&mySort=2
Old 11-04-2009, 11:47 PM

Here is another source;

http://www.sarcoinc.com/springfields.html#1

Part #SPF142. Sarco has original 1903 parts but it will be a crap-shoot if you get the correct one for your vintage.