Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > NM Collector CMP Edition Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2014, 12:01 PM

Default Who ends up with your data?

I'm just wondering how much of your private information and gun information ends up out on the internet using this software?

99% of Android apps are simply spyware and the permissions they require are extremely intrusive, at least to me. Microsoft is at least as bad in most cases. Your computer is talking to the home planet, updating, sharing all sorts of personal information every time you log onto the internet and not telling you who is getting the info and what it is sharing.

Is there any way to know if your gun data base protected from prying eyes, really? How do you know it is not transmitting to the Bloomberg foundation weekly?

Does NM collector software have encryption or some sort of protection from hackers?
Old 10-03-2014, 08:24 AM

Exclamation

These are great questions! In fact, when I have answered your questions some people may think that I asked you to post this.

I can't provide a complete set of answers until this evening. However, for now let me just say that you can successfully run NM collector on a computer disconnected from the internet. You can run it from a USB flash drive without even installing it on a computer. You can setup network monitoring software to verify that it does not access the internet unless you tell it to. You can encrypt the database or the entire USB flash drive if you chose to run it off the flash drive.

Stay tuned for more details.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegunman View Post
I'm just wondering how much of your private information and gun information ends up out on the internet using this software?

99% of Android apps are simply spyware and the permissions they require are extremely intrusive, at least to me. Microsoft is at least as bad in most cases. Your computer is talking to the home planet, updating, sharing all sorts of personal information every time you log onto the internet and not telling you who is getting the info and what it is sharing.

Is there any way to know if your gun data base protected from prying eyes, really? How do you know it is not transmitting to the Bloomberg foundation weekly?

Does NM collector software have encryption or some sort of protection from hackers?
If you read close, many of the permissions they as are benign and only local. that said, facebook and other apps request too muc personal info - but look close. If you have Geo tagging turned off (shows where the picture was taken) and other things, then it can't send out info if it wants to.

Last edited by weimar_police; 10-03-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:06 AM

I read something the other day that the flashlight apps on your phone use GPS, tap into your camera, tap into your pics, locations, other apps, pretty much everything on your phone.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:29 AM

Sean, I don't discount it - but I take a lot of what I read with a grain of salt. that said, there is too much crap that the apps want access too...
Old 10-03-2014, 06:02 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmCollector View Post
These are great questions! In fact, when I have answered your questions some people may think that I asked you to post this.

I can't provide a complete set of answers until this evening. However, for now let me just say that you can successfully run NM collector on a computer disconnected from the internet. You can run it from a USB flash drive without even installing it on a computer. You can setup network monitoring software to verify that it does not access the internet unless you tell it to. You can encrypt the database or the entire USB flash drive if you chose to run it off the flash drive.

Stay tuned for more details.

Thanks
I've been looking forward to this all day. Yes, I had to wait to respond because I have a "real" job that keeps me occupied during the day. I never spend time on this while I am being paid by someone else to do work for them. However, I am generally free from work evenings and weekends so this time is mine.

As a long time gun collector I am familiar with privacy concerns. I have read history and know dictators go after gun owners. Not that that would ever happen here in the good ol USA right?

Anyway, designed NM Gun Collector Software with your privacy in mind. I will try to describe the features that reflect that approach and where I made exceptions.

First, that is why I designed it to be run from a USB flash drive. You can protect that drive at whatever level you wish - from encrypting the entire flash drive to locking it in a safe or safety deposit box. If you use the usb flash drive option by itself you do not even have to install it on your computer and no data is ever stored on your computer - it only exists in memory until you save your changes to the USB and shut the program down.

Well, dinner is here so I have to take a break ... stay tuned for more ...
Old 10-03-2014, 06:29 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
I've been looking forward to this all day. Yes, I had to wait to respond because I have a "real" job that keeps me occupied during the day. I never spend time on this while I am being paid by someone else to do work for them. However, I am generally free from work evenings and weekends so this time is mine.

As a long time gun collector I am familiar with privacy concerns. I have read history and know dictators go after gun owners. Not that that would ever happen here in the good ol USA right?

Anyway, designed NM Gun Collector Software with your privacy in mind. I will try to describe the features that reflect that approach and where I made exceptions.

First, that is why I designed it to be run from a USB flash drive. You can protect that drive at whatever level you wish - from encrypting the entire flash drive to locking it in a safe or safety deposit box. If you use the usb flash drive option by itself you do not even have to install it on your computer and no data is ever stored on your computer - it only exists in memory until you save your changes to the USB and shut the program down.

Well, dinner is here so I have to take a break ... stay tuned for more ...
OK, I'm back.

You can also encrypt the database by selecting Options > Security > Encrypt Database. This is handy if you want to run it on the cloud. Yes, you can run it on the cloud!

In addition, you can password protect the application by selecting Options > Security > Enable Password Protection after selecting Options > Security > Create or Change Password to actually set a password. This is handy if you choose to run it from your desktop computer. This controls access to your data through the application, however it does not protect your data from direct access to the underlying database bypassing the application. For that level of protection you really need to encrypt the database. You can do both. Depending on the level of security you want, you can even password protect the application, encrypt the database AND run it from an encrypted drive.

So that is all well and good but what about behind the scenes uploads of data to the internet? Well, that all depends on me the programmer of NM Collector Software. I can tell you that I don't upload your data behind the scenes but why should you believe me or any programmer that makes such claims? I say you shouldn't or, if you like to give people the benefit of the doubt, I suggest following the Reagan maxim of "trust but verify."

Most of us have firewalls installed on our computers that we can use to monitor the network access of any program we run. Unfortunately, we rarely take full advantage of this capability. In order to help those who want to know what programs on their systems are accessing the internet but do not know how to do it, I have documented step by step instructions on how to set up Norton Firewall to monitor the network access of any program (including but not limited to NM Collector Software) on your system. Norton Firewall is available for free from Comcast to their internet subscribers. Other firewalls are similar in functionality so these instructions might help even if you do not have Norton Firewall.

Others have monitored my software using different monitoring capabilities and I welcome anybody who can do this to do so and post their results here.

Well, I have to take the dogs out now. Be right back!
Old 10-03-2014, 06:48 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
OK, I'm back.

You can also encrypt the database by selecting Options > Security > Encrypt Database. This is handy if you want to run it on the cloud. Yes, you can run it on the cloud!

In addition, you can password protect the application by selecting Options > Security > Enable Password Protection after selecting Options > Security > Create or Change Password to actually set a password. This is handy if you choose to run it from your desktop computer. This controls access to your data through the application, however it does not protect your data from direct access to the underlying database bypassing the application. For that level of protection you really need to encrypt the database. You can do both. Depending on the level of security you want, you can even password protect the application, encrypt the database AND run it from an encrypted drive.

So that is all well and good but what about behind the scenes uploads of data to the internet? Well, that all depends on me the programmer of NM Collector Software. I can tell you that I don't upload your data behind the scenes but why should you believe me or any programmer that makes such claims? I say you shouldn't or, if you like to give people the benefit of the doubt, I suggest following the Reagan maxim of "trust but verify."

Most of us have firewalls installed on our computers that we can use to monitor the network access of any program we run. Unfortunately, we rarely take full advantage of this capability. In order to help those who want to know what programs on their systems are accessing the internet but do not know how to do it, I have documented step by step instructions on how to set up Norton Firewall to monitor the network access of any program (including but not limited to NM Collector Software) on your system. Norton Firewall is available for free from Comcast to their internet subscribers. Other firewalls are similar in functionality so these instructions might help even if you do not have Norton Firewall.

Others have monitored my software using different monitoring capabilities and I welcome anybody who can do this to do so and post their results here.

Well, I have to take the dogs out now. Be right back!
Back again!

In order to be run on Windows, Mac, and Linux, I wrote NM Collector Software in Java. Sometimes you will here that Java has security issues. Although I cannot promise there will never be a Java security issue, most of these problems have been limited to web browsers. It does not apply to NM Collector Software which is not a web browser application. In fact, you can disable Java in your web browser and still run NM Collector Software with no problems!

Nevertheless, it is always a good idea to take advantage of whatever security features are available to you. Here are some Java Security Tips to follow. You will note that one of the tips is to not allow applications from unknown publishers to run on your computer. That is not a problem for NM Collector Software since I have a certificate from a trusted authority!

Gotta make a phone call now. I will be right back!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:02 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Back again!

In order to be run on Windows, Mac, and Linux, I wrote NM Collector Software in Java. Sometimes you will here that Java has security issues. Although I cannot promise there will never be a Java security issue, most of these problems have been limited to web browsers. It does not apply to NM Collector Software which is not a web browser application. In fact, you can disable Java in your web browser and still run NM Collector Software with no problems!

Nevertheless, it is always a good idea to take advantage of whatever security features are available to you. Here are some Java Security Tips to follow. You will note that one of the tips is to not allow applications from unknown publishers to run on your computer. That is not a problem for NM Collector Software since I have a certificate from a trusted authority!

Gotta make a phone call now. I will be right back!
OK, what about the Android NM Collector Apps? How secure are the? Well, I can tell you that I did not think so much about the security of the Android apps since I figured most people who use Android apps are not so concerned about security as those who don't. I did not hide anything in them but, I don't know of any way to independently monitor Android apps. Does anybody have any suggestions?

On a somewhat related note, I don't include advertisements. I have heard of security risks of Andorid app advertisements (which I do not know are true) but I don't do it because I think they are annoying. I have been approached MANY times to "monetize" my Android apps through embedded advertising. This I refuse to do.

Anyway, back to security of the NM Collector Android apps. As mentioned elsewhere, when you install an Android app you are given the opportunity to review required permissions and either accept the app or not. Here are the required permissions for my NM Collector Android apps:
CHECK_LICENSE For Android Market license
WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE For Export to SD card
INTERNET For access to on-line help
As you can see they are minimal. However, I do require internet access for the help feature. I suppose I could eliminate that and embed help in the application itself. Unfortunately, as it is currently configured, I cannot prove or support my claim that I have not embedded any nefarious functionality in my Android apps. Does anybody know how to independently verify or refute that claim? If so, please let us know!

Well, that is all I can think of for now. If there are any follow up comments or questions I will by happy to address them

Thanks!!!!