Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2014, 11:38 AM

Default $225 Rock Island Sporter-Good Deal

I know a picture is probably needed and why I did not take one-I dont know Anyway one of the pawshops by me has had this old Rock Island that has been sporterized. Here are the details: Bore measued a 1. Barrel is dated 8-18 w/flaming bomb. Bore has no shine and is dark. Barrel lenght measured from muzzle to start of reciever is 23-1/4. Barrel has the original front site. The bolt looks to be something non-original and has a polished look like chrome to it. It sits on a sporter stock which is boogerd up a bit. The reciever has been drilled and tapped and it has scope rings attached. The scope rings screws look like a beaver has chewed on them because some bubba has taken the wrong screwdriver to them many times. The overall finish has been blued with a high polish, however one side of the barrel has a streak of rust down it like it has been sitting against something over the years causing the rust. Serial number is 357,XXX. Mag cut off area does not look to have been welded.

I could probably get the rifle for $200. My plans would be to convert it to a sniper replica for a shooter. I would have to get a new stock, hand guard, rear sight mount and sight and original style stock hardware, probably a reparkerize. Wondering what some of the guys on here think of the price. Again no picture dosent help I know. Sorry.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:27 PM

I'd stay away from it. you'll put more money into it trying to bring it back than what it's worth.I traded 2 cans of ammo for a sportorized Remington 03 one time. Tried to mount a scope on the old drilled and taped holes, you couldn't get it to boresight.I wished I would of kept the ammo. I ended up selling that piece of junk at a gunshow. Never do that again!!!
Old 10-06-2014, 12:30 PM

Earlier this year someone posted a set of photos and all the work they did bringing a basket-case rifle back from the dead, I think it was a chromed ceremonial 1917 now that I think about it.

Most certainly a labor of love (for all the money & effort the project took), the OP got quite a few kudos for his hard work.

Edit: Aha, here it is:
Former "White Twin" ready for duty!.....
Check out the before & after pics.

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 10-06-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliabilityman View Post
I could probably get the rifle for $200. My plans would be to convert it to a sniper replica for a shooter. I would have to get a new stock, hand guard, rear sight mount and sight and original style stock hardware, probably a reparkerize. Wondering what some of the guys on here think of the price. Again no picture dosent help I know. Sorry.
Questionable. Are you planning on converting it to a replica sniper for the CMP vintage sniper matches? If so, you would have to convert it to a 1903A1 sniper with the Unertl style external adjustable scope mounts and rings. That is a pricey proposition and IMO would be better started with a less butchered rifle.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
Questionable. Are you planning on converting it to a replica sniper for the CMP vintage sniper matches? If so, you would have to convert it to a 1903A1 sniper with the Unertl style external adjustable scope mounts and rings. That is a pricey proposition and IMO would be better started with a less butchered rifle.
That would be my plan. I have read on here that it is sacrilegious to try to do this with any halfway nice 1903. So I started looking at sporters and found this one. Havent pulled the trigger on buying it yet of course but wanted to see others opinons as the folks on here have provided good advice in the past.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:12 PM

For $200, I'd do it.

Mike
Old 10-06-2014, 05:28 PM

$200 is not that far out of line for a non-Drill rifle High Number Reciever!

I would do it - but I would make sure I could make that barrel shoot before investing anything more into it - or then decide to take the plunge and buy a new barrel. If not, I would possibly sell it myself after determining it was not accurate enough.

OR..... You could put a good barrel on it, get some undrilled Earl scope blocks that could be matched to your existing reciever holes, mount a proper stock and Go For It! CC

PS - Good on ya' for not cutting up a pristine original to make a shooter! CC
Old 10-06-2014, 06:23 PM

Rifles are highly polished when blued and sometimes the smith works with a heavy hand. This knocks down the crisp detail of the receiver which cannot be brought back. If it is in this condition it will look like a re-parked blued rifle. Not that that's a show stopper, but it is something to consider when you think about how satisfied you might be with the finished product and/or the resale value.

Last edited by S99VG; 10-06-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:50 PM

There is a satisfaction in bringing one of these rifles back, I recently had good luck with a 1917 Eddystone. I would look into what it would cost to refurbish it and if you end up a hundred or so less than what you would have in a similar condition compete rifle, I would probably chance it and clean it up based on how it shoots.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:35 PM

Sounds like the ideal candidate to me, finding something a lot nicer also means a lot more$$. I picked one up for about the same $, stripped the sporter stuff off and stuck it on ebay, made more than I paid for the rifle.
I assume there is scope, rings, mount, stock and if it won't do for your sniper, the bolt, it adds up.