Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2015, 12:36 PM

Default New Member from Northern VA

Hello to all and I can't wait to start interacting with my new friends here. I first contracted Garanditis in the mid '80's but really got hooked in 1994 when I was offered a deal too good to pass up. I am now up to four and one half so far with no end in site. I've been trying to wear out my trigger finger since 1968 when my great Dad got me into the NRA at the age of 12. He was a WW 2 veteran who passed away last year on June 6th after living an extremely interesting life in Aviation. I had been his primary caregiver for the last part of his life and it kind of took me away from shooting short of grabbing my pistol bag of 1911's for a short trip to the range. While I will always miss him, the honor was mine. Now, it is time for me to get back into shooting seriously again and I plan on being on this site a lot. Many thanks to GhostInTheMachine for help with my account.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:41 PM

Where at in NOVA YF? I'm in Ashburn....Welcome.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:48 PM

Default Garand Match

Welcome....Fairfax Rod and Gun club in Manassas has a match this SUNDAY (10-25) which is for Garands....welcome to public even though it is a member range....arrive by 0815 hr as 'squading' is done at 0830. If late - you are SOL.

This will be a 400 ag + sighters so...bring around 50+ rounds. All to be shot at 200 yards....prone, sitting standing....fun for all. I just try to beat myself as I am NO WHERE good enough to 'rank'.

Google FRGC to get address. OH....fee $10.

You'll be hooked once ya shoot the match. Next month it will be bolt (03, 03a3, 1917) but you can shoot whatever ya want. Many just come to practice (AR 15).

See ya there
Old 10-14-2015, 01:53 PM

This Sunday is 10/18...but it is this Sunday based on what the calendar on the site says.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:59 PM

Default Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidd76 View Post
This Sunday is 10/18...but it is this Sunday based on what the calendar on the site says.
Originally the 4 matches were to be on Saturdays....however, this Saturday there is a 'clinic' (class) to be held so the match will be on SUNDAY.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:03 PM

Agreed..but it's 10/18 not 10/25 as posted.

What's the policy on coming to watch? If I just wanted to attend and see how a match is run is that permitted?
Old 10-14-2015, 02:08 PM

Default Crap

Quote:
Agreed..but it's 10/18 not 10/25 as posted.

What's the policy on coming to watch? If I just wanted to attend and see how a match is run is that permitted?
As the younger generation says "MY BAD"....as the older generation says "SH**"....

Yes....I looked at the calendar wrong....it IS this Sunday, 10/18.

BTW....come to shoot! They are quite helpful and are quite 'lax' etc. Really. Just tell the Range officer you are 'new' (if you are) and he will line you up on a lane near the 'booth' he mans.

If you DO want to just watch, bring ear and eye protection...but....plan on shooting. You'll love it....and it is a great place to "learn pit duty" as they are quite helpful there too.

(PS...it is to be kinda 'cool' weather wise so....be prepared )
Old 10-14-2015, 02:24 PM

If i can scrounge up enough ammo and clips I may just do that. 99% of my stock of everything is already moved to OK (in the middle of a move, just waiting on the house here to sell), but I do have the Special I built at the AMC class in August at the house, as well as a Field Grade I ordered late last month.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:42 PM

Default Match

Quote:
If i can scrounge up enough ammo and clips I may just do that. 99% of my stock of everything is already moved to OK (in the middle of a move, just waiting on the house here to sell), but I do have the Special I built at the AMC class in August at the house, as well as a Field Grade I ordered late last month.
Well....even if you do NOT have enough ammo and clips, you can always shoot an AR15 (223 ) just to 'practice' since it does NOT have to be Garand etc. That way you could get some good training in PIT duty....

As to "clips"....ya only need two....one for the two round rapid fire with the second with 8 rounds. All slow fire take NO enbloc as are single loads.

I can bring extra ammo - you'd just buy from me! $36 will get you 60 rounds from me with one bando included and 12 loose.....just a thought.

I will be in a silver Ford Sport Trac..UWYO Va plate.....
Old 10-14-2015, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the offer...if i decide to shoot I'll have to take you up on it because i checked my stock and all my ammo has been moved. My AR's are gone as well, but I may be able to find one for the day.