Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-16-2017, 02:25 PM
Tothemax Tothemax is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 998
Default

I live in MT the land of slow internets and even with a old pc it still loads fine. Arfcom is a prime example. Lots of advertisements, avatars, signatures, etc. No issues here.

Fair enough for the anti change crowd. I got no argument against that. Just figured I would ask. Didn't know if it was an option or not.
  #12  
Old 04-16-2017, 03:03 PM
TSimonetti TSimonetti is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
Actually, I really appreciate the rendering speed of this forum compared to others that I frequent - which are often overloaded with 'fluff' & exhibit slower page load times, particularly for those with slower computers.

Furthermore, my experience is that extra features make more work for the forum staff with regards to maintenance & troubleshooting. I think that forum support efforts are better spent on maintaining content rather than on extraneous features.

And a shameless plug for forum staff while I'm on the topic.
This is 2017. User Avatars has been around forever and are pretty popular. I think they could do it if they thought it was worthwhile. Perhaps they aren't convinced that it is. I think a huge barrier is the reality that many users will choose political themed or some other type of controversial Avatars. Which is a huge no no.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 04-16-2017 at 03:06 PM.
  #13  
Old 04-16-2017, 03:13 PM
HunterTN HunterTN is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
This is 2017. User Avatars has been around forever and are pretty popular. I think they could do it if they thought it was worthwhile. Perhaps they aren't convinced that it is. I think a huge barrier is the reality that many users will choose political themed or some other type of controversial Avatars. Which is a huge no no.
Also they could shut this forum down tomorrow at no detriment to themselves. They don't sell ads here, they don't take a commission from the trader board, no membership fees, etc. This is done as a service to us. They could gut everything but info on matches and it would completely serve its purpose. Avatars would be one more thing they'd have to police and it adds little to no value to the content of this site.
  #14  
Old 04-16-2017, 05:07 PM
OKC_Jim OKC_Jim is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OKC, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTN View Post
Also they could shut this forum down tomorrow at no detriment to themselves. They don't sell ads here, they don't take a commission from the trader board, no membership fees, etc. This is done as a service to us. They could gut everything but info on matches and it would completely serve its purpose. Avatars would be one more thing they'd have to police and it adds little to no value to the content of this site.
Exactly! From what we hear, occasionally the forums can be a headache to management that they sometimes think about getting rid of all together. We don't need more rope to hang ourselves with than we already have.
  #15  
Old 04-16-2017, 06:28 PM
jmm jmm is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: G'Boro, NC
Posts: 1,969
Default

As others have pointed out, despite calls for "improved marketplace", or "hosting pictures", and now "avatars", the CMP has made it clear in the past that they have a plan of 2 options:
1. Do nothing.
2. Make it all go away.

We don't get to vote, and the forum does nothing to assist in the operations in regard to their mission.
The majority of the customers purchase 1 rifle, and don't even know of the forum.
Try forcing the CMP management to improve the forum, and see what happens.
__________________
Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are God given rights, not government granted rights.
  #16  
Old 04-16-2017, 08:25 PM
Tothemax Tothemax is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 998
Default

No one is forcing anyone to do anything. Just a suggestion. I'd imagine if the site went under members would join and post on other forums or start up a new one.

Also, if modding is such a pain and time consuming, why not see f anyone is willing to help? Pretty easy around here. Moving and closing threads...
  #17  
Old 04-16-2017, 08:35 PM
TSimonetti TSimonetti is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
As others have pointed out, despite calls for "improved marketplace", or "hosting pictures", and now "avatars", the CMP has made it clear in the past that they have a plan of 2 options:
1. Do nothing.
2. Make it all go away.

We don't get to vote, and the forum does nothing to assist in the operations in regard to their mission.
The majority of the customers purchase 1 rifle, and don't even know of the forum.
Try forcing the CMP management to improve the forum, and see what happens.
I'm not quite so cynical. I think the powers that be at least recognize the brotherhood and conversation here serve a positive overall purpose. That said, the status quo probably serves them well right now.

That doesn't mean we couldn't ruin it for ourselves in quick order, because we can. But I don't think the CMP is looking for reasons or weighing their options to shut this forum down either.

Simply put, Avatars are a bad idea here because there is no right to free speech here and nor should there be.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 04-16-2017 at 08:40 PM.
  #18  
Old 04-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Tothemax Tothemax is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 998
Default

Little confused by the free speech/avatar bad idea comment? Can you please explain better?
  #19  
Old 04-16-2017, 09:33 PM
HunterTN HunterTN is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothemax View Post
Little confused by the free speech/avatar bad idea comment? Can you please explain better?
It's one more thing they'd have to police for decency and political statements. Way more work than what the option is worth.
  #20  
Old 04-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Tothemax Tothemax is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTN View Post
It's one more thing they'd have to police for decency and political statements. Way more work than what the option is worth.
Gotcha. Modding is really pretty dang easy. 95% of it is moving and closing threads. The other 5% is responding to reported issues. I've done it multiple times on other sites. Extra work yes, but it can be rewarding.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.