Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 12:47 PM

Default Connect veterans with their old issued 1911's?

I have searched the forum and have not come up with anything on this.

I was wondering if the CMP has given any thought of allowing veterans who can prove they were previously issued a particular .45 in the service a chance of purchasing that particular .45, if it is part of the inventory offered for sale. I imagine it could work like this - once the customer has been contacted in step 14 (below) he could request his old .45 by serial number. A quick search by the CMP of the serial numbers for sale could show if that particular .45 is available. The customer would then have the option of paying whatever price the CMP is asking for the .45 depending on grade, scarcity, etc. In my case, a US&S, I imagine it might be pricey. Of course, the customer would have to provide some proof of the previous issue, ie. a copy of his original weapons receipt or something similar.

11. Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
12. The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
13. Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
14. When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
15. As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:18 PM

You would have a better shot at the lottery. Also unless you were issued the 1911 for 50+ years why would you have any claim to it over anyone else who it may have been issued to. Most likely they will only be dealing with small batches at a time. So if you were one of the lucky 10k and when your number came up if your issued 1911 was in that small allotment I would say yes you do deserve it. With the odds of that happening and the extra work it would create well all I have to say is good luck with that. I know it never hurts to ask but do not count on it.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdguns View Post
You would have a better shot at the lottery. Also unless you were issued the 1911 for 50+ years why would you have any claim to it over anyone else who it may have been issued to. Most likely they will only be dealing with small batches at a time. So if you were one of the lucky 10k and when your number came up if your issued 1911 was in that small allotment I would say yes you do deserve it. With the odds of that happening and the extra work it would create well all I have to say is good luck with that. I know it never hurts to ask but do not count on it.
Was previously asked.
No. Does not fit in with the process already described.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:44 PM

A noble idea, but it seems like it would add a whole new level of complexity to the selection process with a very low probability of actual matchups. Just my take on it.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Not saying I have any more of a right to that .45 than anyone else it was issued to. But if my name is up on the random number lottery and the .45 is available, eg. nobody else who was drawn before me that it was issued to requested it, why not? So I agree in large part with what you are saying, especially the winning the lottery odds part. As you say, it never hurts to ask.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tester19 View Post
A noble idea, but it seems like it would add a whole new level of complexity to the selection process with a very low probability of actual matchups. Just my take on it.
I agree, a noble idea but unlikely to happen. Although, at the appropriate time it seems that a quick computer search of available serial numbers when filling the order should not be that complex. But then, what do I know?
Old 03-10-2018, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Previously asked and addressed by Mr. Johnson here:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=219932

Note his recommendation in post #6...

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 03-10-2018, 01:30 AM

Thank you Big Red. I searched using issue, vet, .45, 1911, etc. Just didn't use "personal weapon".
Old 03-10-2018, 08:36 AM

One other concern would be the fact that the weapon was issued to more than one person, so there could easily be multiple claims. Just because I carried it, doesn't give me any different claim to it. Then we will also have ones where my dad carried it etc....
Old 03-10-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Wow. I carried at lest three different 1911s on one three year tour and every time you PCS you obviously, I hope, have to get a new weapon assigned. As far as Provenance, good luck with that one.
Closed Thread